Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Portable Telescope for under £100

On 31.3.2016 at 04:41, Louis D said:

If you're really set on a reflector, put out an ad for an old Zuka.  It was designed with portability in mind.  You used it like a Bazooka, using your shoulder as the mount.

I understand well that this can be used for birding. But I get the feeling that this scope is mostly practical for looking more or less horizontal. E.g. looking at zenith might be a big problem. There are of course many objects below zenith, but I think keeping the scope pointing upwards at an angle on your shoulder, would make it more difficult to look into the eyepiece.

That said; I think it is a good, reasonably steady alternative for large binoculars or a spotting scope.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎29‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 14:01, happy-kat said:

As you already have a tripod you 'may' be able to use the ST80 on it. The link below shows how with a ball head.

Link here

I think the ST80 is a cracking little scope, even though I replaced mine with an ED72mm I still actually regret selling it..  The pan and ball head that Happy-kat linked you too held the ST80 very well, even better with the longer quick release plate I'd imagine.. Just need a light weight red dot finder and low power EP and your away for some great wide field views, that are travel friendly.. I've taken the combo to corfu on a plane, even managed to get Saturn up to 100X ish in a 82deg FoV EP (for a few seconds). 

You'll enjoy your new scope! Hope you find a mount solution that works for you.

ta

Fozzie

Thanks, those slow motion controls look real handy. It's convinced me enough to go for Linda's choice, the TS Geared Head and Alt-azimuth Mount for photo tripods. This would bring the weight up to around 3kg so my tripod is going to need an upgrade (currently the capacity load is 3kg). 

I agree with you about the ST80, I am very impressed with this telescope and was able to clearly see two bands of Jupiter a few nights ago. Great work on your mount solution, I was highly tempted to go for it but I wanted to give the slow motion controls a try.

On 08/04/2016 at 10:52, Linda said:

I understand well that this can be used for birding. But I get the feeling that this scope is mostly practical for looking more or less horizontal. E.g. looking at zenith might be a big problem. There are of course many objects below zenith, but I think keeping the scope pointing upwards at an angle on your shoulder, would make it more difficult to look into the eyepiece.

That said; I think it is a good, reasonably steady alternative for large binoculars or a spotting scope.

You need to remember that the Zuka uses a diagonal,which can be rotated to make it easier to view objects near to the zenith,though looking upwards close to 90 degrees would still require contortions beyond me,or a rubber neck! i* Actually,at 90 degrees vertical,the scope could lie flat against your back.

A bit of a strange scope,but then again,look at some of the wild and wacky 'Heath Robinson' optical contraptions that have been used in the past-like those ultra long focus 'Aerial Telescopes' used in the 17th century.

Archived