Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice Please

Herzy

I'm a few days away from purchasing an AVX 6" Newtonian and I want some assurance that his wont be a mistake. I want to use it mainly for imaging, but I will certainly do some visual work with it. 

This is a big purchase for me because I'm only 15, so I don't want to regret it! As far as I've read so far the only major problem is the focuser on the C6-N is not compatible with 2" eyepeices, so coma will be an issue.

A question for you. Is this the scope & mount you are referring to?

http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/telescopes/advanced-vx-6-newtonian-telescope

I just editted my reply. Checking your content I believe you posted a similar query earlier. And the link above does indeed lead to what you're about to buy. So on this note:

You appear to have found the strengths & weaknesses of this telescope and mount. Thus demonstrating that you know that no one telescope will do everything under the stars. Some excel at such & such, while others can do so & so better. In other words - you've done your homework! And this puts you well ahead of the curve on a first-time expensive telescope purchase. Many people come here expecting someone to wave a magic-wand and show them the best-at-everything scope, which we know doesn't actualy exist.

In my opinion, you look good-to-go. So if and when you "pull-the-trigger" and have it on it's way - do let us know. I'll start watching the weather-news for when Oklahoma starts flooding and the tornados arrive. When they do - I'll know the scope has arrived.....

All the best -

Dave

000000.jpg

I would still suggest making sure that you can actually image with the scope without any modification.

Say this as in general a scope is capable of one or the other easily, and that to get the second option the user needs to do or add something. Usually on something like this you can drop an eyepiece in and see things but that means the focal place is too far inwards for a DSLR to reach the focal plane. The "solution" being that the user has to move the main mirror upwards and recollimate. Then the focal plane is further out and the DSLR gets to the focal plane image. However then an eye piece may be too close in and so you need a small extension tube. You get the idea.

In the past the manufacturers have said that you can attach a DSLR, that is not the same as attach and get a focused image, subtle difference but a common "fault". ES are seemingly going the other way. They are making scopes to drop a DSLR on and it focuses, but eyepieces don't. This is sort of "well known" as half the time ES forget to include the much required small extension tube and people cannot see anything the first time out.

If the link that Dave has given is the actual item you are considering then have a cery careful read - there is no actual mention that the scope will image. As best I can read all reference to imaging refers to the AVX mount not to the scope.

Thanks everyone. I've watched/read quite a few reviews and they have shown pictures that thy have taken and stacked with just the original setup that you get. Why would they have a prime focus option if the scope doesn't focus a DSLR?

I already have a cheap guide scope I'll buy an auto guider when I get the money.

The weather is already pretty bad here... They must know I'm gonna buy a scope!!

Edit: The C6-N can focus a DSLR if you unscrew the eyepeice adapter. Just attach the DSLR directly to the focuser.

Archived