Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice for new setup

Dear all,

I want to upgrade from my current imaging setup (Celestron CGEM, 6" Newton and 80mm guidescope) as the CGEM is not performing well for imaging. I want my future setup to satisfy my needs for many years to come, so I want it just right for me. My main interest is in imaging distant galaxies, i.e. objects with a small angular span. My idea is to use a dual setup with a primary telescope used for luminosity and visual use, and a second telescope for color imaging. If this proves to be a too big challenge i may consider to purchase a separate dob for visual use.

1) Which two telescopes would you suggest?

2) Would it be a good idea to use a dedicated cooled astro OSC for color imaging to save valuable time?

3) Which mount do you recommend for such a setup?

Any suggestions/considerations/ideas would be most wellcome!

/Thommy

(Argghhh - SGL signed me out automatically after 5 mins so I had to rewrite everything)

I use a Reflector and a Mono CCD, the Reflector because it fast (gathers in lots of Light), the Atik 414EX because its very sensitive ideal for distant galaxies, a HEQ6 Mount would be the starting point or if the money is there a NEQ6 or AZ-EQ6-GT, if there's more money a EQ8 after this just mention how much and people on here will spend it for you, Reflector size 130P is used a lot i would and likely will in the summer go for a 6" SW 150P-DS, why it will take a Moonlite Focusers and i have one already, the 414EX you can add a filter wheel if you want to do color once you get your head round imagine in general......Good Luck

Well, for now i just want to investigate different options, and in particular what is possible or not.

The budget would be roughly 8,000 - 9,000 £ for the total setup, but it is more important to find a setup that works flawlessly for years to come.

Perhaps I should mention that I do have some experience with imaging - I started using film about thirty years ago so I am not a beginner. I currently image galaxies, but my CGEM frustrates me, and my newtonian is in need of a refurbishment. So this is the time to upgrade. I have something like a 12" f/4 newtonian on my mind for a primary scope and a smaller newtonian or refractor for the colors. 

But my mind puzzles with questions like "Is it possible to use a dual setup where one telescope collects L-data and the other color data simultaneously or am I asking for trouble?", "can I use an achromatic refractor for the color data to keep the cost down?", "would a OSC be ok for color data, or do I have to (continue) to use filters?".

Please come up with your thoughts, even if you think I must be crazy (which I am).

/Thommy

With long focal length and high load, you're going to need an accurate mount with high load capacity. The Mesu 200 comes to mind. I don't have one, but I've never heard a bad thing about it, and it has around 100kg capacity.

I think a mono CCD wins over a OSC. I think mono is actually faster at collecting data than OSC, and you can bin the colour data if you want to speed things up more.

Archived