SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Favorite websites to browse for equipment?

Hello, more newb questions from me.

Sometimes I can learn a bit from a good catalog or website.  The auto parts websites show us what options are out there, and what is in our budgets.

So far I have looked at the one with the most obvious url, telescope.com .  Not sure they have the best prices but I might even spend ~10% more at a store that has good policies and clean listings.

What websites do you all recommend for an organized listing or equipment and good business practices? 

Thanks for your tips and best wishes.

Yes. It might be worth adding "US" in the title.

of the UK sites. First Light Optics (obviously - see sponsor's banner), Telescope House, Explore Scientific and Astro Buy & Sell for second hand kit.

Hope that this helps.

Paul

Okay - I'll bite!

Doc Clay is a renowned expert on SCT's and telescopes in general in the US of A. And he's got a website with lots of useful information and guides. So I'd suggest a visit - at least. You might consider signing up - no spamming ever seen. But a nice forum for questions and ideas and answers. A Win~Win situation:

http://www.arksky.org/joomla30/

Enjoy!

Dave

I've always been impressed by the equipment reviews from Opt Corp in the US who appear in the UK press from time to time. And their equipment listings and shop floor pics are a good indication they know what they're talking about. They seem to be very active with local groups and attend all the major US star parties from what I've read over the years. I've never used them - but I'd suggest you check them out. :)

Odd you'd mention OPT here, brantuk. Doc Clay, of the above linked site, gives instructions on his site for proper cleaning of corrector-plates on SCT's. His refined-over-years recipe for a cleaning solution is rather complex. And the ingredients can be a struggle for many folks to secure. So he 'conspired' with OPT to market a pre-mixed kit offered on the OPT site. All of it can't be internationaly shipped due to postal restrictions (Ammonia). So a dry mix is offered as well.

I just used it a few days ago after my corrector on my Mak had a mishap - worked perfectly - no spots, stains, phantoms, or streaks.

So a 'Yes" from me. OPT does a very good job. Used them many times over the years, and will again.

All the best -

Dave

http://www.arksky.org sure does have some information on it.  I got distracted reading the meteor shower predictions.  Mostly trivia, but it appears to be a Joomla site also just like the one I run for my work. 

I spent some time browsing optcorp also.  Good site with lots of products.  When I post a new topic I am going to link to a couple of its listings.

This board will be good for me, I'm not accustomed to having to list I am in the USA.  The other forums I frequent, be it Gardenweb, the Mustang Boards, or the naval wargame miniature site all have a strong U.S. bias but the latter did lead me to a greater respect for the Royal Navy.  People there don't understand why I love the metric system though :)

Archived