NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Does anyone have experience of Strathspey 15 x 60s?

Hi all:

I've had my eyes on these 15 x 60 bins from Strathspey:

http://www.strathspey.co.uk/shop/20x60.html

I'm attracted due to their portability (lighter and smaller than the 70mm objectives) but was wondering if anyone had used them. I'd imagine the 4mm exit pupil means the image is still pretty bright, and they would easier to hand hold than 15 x 70s.

Also, what are Strathespey like for quality, compared to the likes of Celestron or Opticron?

Thoughts appreciated.

Billy.

Hi Billy,

I have a pair of the 15x70s and have had them for about 5 years. I think they are great value. Quality is good for the price. The chap who runs it is very helpful and kindly sent me replacement eye cups when I needed one.

I am about to buy another pair of binos - either 10x50 or 7x50 and am seriously looking at Strathspey again.

Good luck

I prefer low powered optics for astronomy, realising to myself, that I am unable to make out any planetary details on Jupiter.  My eyes just perceive a white disk, no detail  when using my 15x70 Revelations, in fact  I don't see any details with any of my binoculars on Jupiter! that's where the telescope comes in handy if/when the weather permits, plus I only have a small area of sky to view,  so  even finding  planets is nigh on impossible with the arc they scribe across my obscured/hidden sky.
However I tried a couple of Strathspey binoculars, only returning the 7x50's in favour of the wider view offered by my Helios 8x40s but  both the 7x50 and the 10x50s were of  very good quality.

My 10x50's are now my general purpose all-round binoculars for when the conditions deteriorate  day or night with their rugged build and water protection, they also posses individual focusing eyepieces, which is no problem for me,  and the depth of view is re-markedly  good, so little focusing is required anyway. 

Although your looking for a  higher magnification and more aperture on the 15x60's, I've no doubt the binoculars  from Strathspey will be  of good quality and the service you receive will be just as good. Give them a ring or email, the details are on their site. 

* Lastly the 10x50's should be easier to hold, as they have less magnification, their field of view is wider and has an extra 1mm more exit pupil, maybe why they cost a little extra? 

When I compared  the SPM 7x50's - 10x50's only the view changed, I don't recall any difference in the image quality or felt I was any closer?

20 hours ago, MAN or ASTROMAN said:

One thing worth bearing in mind- are they really 60mm,or are they stepped down?

A very valid question, especially as the prism housings look like the BA1 housings and the stopping down is done at the entrance pupil of the prism housing.

Thanks for the feedback. Have decided to take a punt on these, as the price is good. I emailed John Burns and he confirmed that they are stopped down slightly, bit I'm hoping for enough of an exit pupil for them to be usable. They won't be my main binos (quite happy with my 8 x 56 Opticron Trailfinders, which give bright views, good eye relief and decent field of view) but would be nice to have something a bit more powerful and highly portable for when I can't take an ST80 with me.

Archived