Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A quick session from Sofia

cleverHexagon

Hi all,

Two days ago the sky opened up with just a few clouds still hanging after dark.
Although it was cold me and the wife managed to get a quick 30 minutes of observing.

The primary target of course was the moon as it was sitting high and bright in the sky. I even managed to get some pics snapped with a handheld camera :icon_biggrin:
The view with the naked I was beautiful as well because Aldebaran was sitting on the lower right of the moon.

We also managed to take a look at the Orion Nebula and the Little Beehive Cluster. The latter was very faint due to light pollution.
After that we quickly got in as it was getting colder than expected.

Clear skies to all!

moon_25mm.png

Nice picture.

Make sure to always overdress when observing: winter coat, woolen cap, gloves, warm boots. Even when it seems warm, you will get cold after sitting still for some time.

40 minutes ago, Linda said:

Make sure to always overdress when observing: winter coat, woolen cap, gloves, warm boots. Even when it seems warm, you will get cold after sitting still for some time.

We do. And all my observations so far are from my terrace, so warmth is a step away. And a thermos full of hot tea is on a table next to the scope as well. I guess that the cold was a convenient excuse to slack of that night :icon_biggrin:

1 minute ago, cleverHexagon said:

And all my observations so far are from my terrace (cut off)

When you have gained some more experience, try to visit a dark sky with your scope. It is truly amazing to hunt galaxies when they are so extremely well visible.

1 minute ago, Linda said:

When you have gained some more experience, try to visit a dark sky with your scope. It is truly amazing to hunt galaxies when they are so extremely well visible.

That's the plan. We have a mountain just by the city, so when the weather gets a bit better (most of it is snowed in right now) and the skies clear out we'll be there for sure.

Nice report. Knowing Sofia like i do it is not the best place to try and observe from, I know from conversations with Dani that to get away from the skyglow you have to drive a good distance away, though I have forgotten where he goes. If you could get to a darker spot it would no doubt help your observations though I doubt where you are is as bad as say London or Paris.

Archived