Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finderscope issues maybe?

I love my scope and I am getting a lot of pleasure from using it.  However, it does give me some elements of frustration.  I set up the telescope pointing finderscope at a lighthouse on the horizon and ensured both the finderscope and the main scope were both looking at the same thing.  The first frustrations came when I realised that every time I packed the scope up to take back inside, the finderscope seemed to go out of line.  I thought I managed to fix this issue by wrapping an elastic band around the finderscope to limit movement.  Now,  I find that when I do the two star alignment I get the star in position in the finderscope and then in position in the main scope, but when I tell the scope to slew to the moon or Jupiter for example it is slightly off....I can see a glow off to one side and have to slightly move the main scope to actually see what I'm meant to be looking at.  Is this a common issue with a skywatcher 127?  Do I maybe need a better finderscope than the one that came supplied with the scope?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it is somewhat frustrating.  Thank you

Hello g30rg313 welcome to SGL. I understand that the Skywatcher 127 is a Mak/Cass which I thought had a red dot finder. Is this correct or do you have an optical finderscope? a 6x30 or 9x50?

Whichever system you have I always remove my finderscope/RDF at the end of each session. When I set up the scope next time I always point the scope at Polaris and reset if necessary which is not very often.

Thank you both for your speedy replies.  Mark my scope came with a 6×30 finders cope not a red dot finder.  I didn't know I could remove it with no issues.  I will try that.  And tinker I checked out the reload,   it looks interesting I might consider one of those.  What is a dew shield tho and also there is an option to buy a dewshield with a mirror. ....I have also considered purchasing a finder with 45° angle on it to reduce the awkward crouching when looking through finder....the tel rad looks like you look down into it

Hi laud I have checked out the rigel too and it looks interesting too.  I know now what my next purchase will be.  A better finder.  This hobby can quickly and easily become very expensive if you allow it can't it.  But I truly believe that the thrill and enjoyment obtained from pursuing this hobby makes it all worthwhile.  I first saw the moon up close and personal through my dad's telescope when I was about six years old.  I did have my own telescope about 20 years ago but it was a cheap manual one from argos and only lasted about 8 months before the axel that attached the scope to the mount snapped and ultimately made it useless.  I was lucky enough to get my 127 for Christmas and my passion has been rekindled with a vengeance

Archived