Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fitting a light pollution filter

gremlin750

I've been trying to image DSOs with my DSLR using the scope (Skywatcher 150) as a prime. However, light pollution is starting to be a problem on longer exposures (and even some shorter ones depending on whether I'm in the front or back garden). I've been thinling about getting a light pollution filter but before I do so, how does one physcally attach it? All the ones I have seen appear either to be 1.25" or 2" suggesting that they attach to eyepieces - which I'm not using. I attach the camera with a T ring to a T2 threaded 2" tube which is then slotted into the scope as usual. Would a 2" filter screw into a T2 thread or do I need an adapter?

Anyone with experience with these types of filters and a DSLR?

If you camera is a Canon then you could get yourself a Astronomik CLS clip filter. These guys sell them:

http://astrograph.net/epages/www_astrograph_net.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/www_astrograph_net/Products/AGACLSEOS

Though this would mean that if you use your camera for day time use you may have to remove it each time, whilst easy it may be not suitable for you to have to do each time. I only use my modded DSLR for Astro imaging so not an issue for me.
If you don't have a Canon or don't want to use the clip filter then you may need to add it to you imaging train, I would refer this to your Skywatcher supplier and I am sure they will have the solution.

Thanks for the info. Alas I have a Nikon camera not a Canon (and that isn't going to change any time soon as I have a lot of Nikon lenses for non-astro photography).

I'll have a look at a 2"/T2 adapter with an internal thread for a 2" filter and see if that works.

Well, astro modded Canons are pretty cheap, and would be a possibility for AP only.

I have a selection of LP filters, though I only use the Astronomik ATM, screwed into the ends of whatever flattener / reducer / corrector that I'm using, or even straight onto the end of my FW.

Archived