NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I saw M81 and Jupiter

It was another clear night so I went out after 11pm for a fairly quick observing session with my 15x70 bins. Scanning the northern skies I found a faint smudge (which was actually M81). It was sort of between Polaris and the nearest pointer star of the Big Dipper. In the southern part of my sky, I saw the icing on the cake, Jupiter. I could see a pretty good, very bright disc and 2 of its moons.

This was a good, quick session.

1 hour ago, DemosL said:

It was another clear night so I went out after 11pm for a fairly quick observing session with my 15x70 bins. Scanning the northern skies I found a faint smudge (which was actually M81). It was sort of between Polaris and the nearest pointer star of the Big Dipper. In the southern part of my sky, I saw the icing on the cake, Jupiter. I could see a pretty good, very bright disc and 2 of its moons.

This was a good, quick session.

Sometimes you can't beat a quick scan with binoculars. Very relaxing a rewarding.

Have a check for M82 near M81 next time, if you can see one, normally both are visible.

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Sometimes you can't beat a quick scan with binoculars. Very relaxing a rewarding.

Have a check for M82 near M81 next time, if you can see one, normally both are visible.

Actually, I saw what appeared to be an unfocused star just a little above M81 (in the same FOV). I know M82 is smaller and fainter than M81. Perhaps that was it.

Archived