Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Az synscan Goto mount problem

Astrith

I have reassembled the mount back on to the tripod and occasionally the scope stops slewing to target . I can hear the motor trying to turn the mount. If I give the scope a nudge it will then ( sometimes ) continue on its course. I couldnt align telescope , and gave up .

Telescope is a Star Discovery 150 p. Finder scope and telrad on OTA. Mount has been problem free in the past .  Scratching my head a little here. Any pointers would be of great help. Many thanks for reading. Alan.

What do you use to power the mount ? Also, try a little experiment, set up the mount indoors, or out, but without the telescope attached and slew the mount using the handset. Does the mount behave normally or does it still struggle ?

" I have reassembled the mount back on to the tripod  " have you taken the mount apart ?

If it stops but you can hear the motors turning it is entirely possible that you have a striped gear wheel, as you say with a gentle nudge it will continue on afterwards. If the wheel is partially stripped then it has lost position straight away when it loses contact with the other gear, this depends upon if the mount has absolute encoders or not.

Derek

On 2/24/2016 at 11:29, Cornelius Varley said:

What do you use to power the mount ? Also, try a little experiment, set up the mount indoors, or out, but without the telescope attached and slew the mount using the handset. Does the mount behave normally or does it still struggle ?

" I have reassembled the mount back on to the tripod  " have you taken the mount apart ?

Hello Cornelius .

Many thanks for the reply .   I had taken the mount apart from the tripod then reassembled again .Have done as you suggested and the mount behaves normally . Would I be right in thinking there may be a telescope balance issue. Alan.........ps I am using a Skywatcher power pack fully charged.

On 2/24/2016 at 11:36, Physopto said:

If it stops but you can hear the motors turning it is entirely possible that you have a striped gear wheel, as you say with a gentle nudge it will continue on afterwards. If the wheel is partially stripped then it has lost position straight away when it loses contact with the other gear, this depends upon if the mount has absolute encoders or not.

Derek

Cheers Derek .

I have fingers crossed hoping this isnt the case !! If so will have to buy new. Encoders ....mmm i dont know . Forgive my ignorance. As far as I know its a standard AZ go to mount with a syn scan handset. Best regards Alan.

14 minutes ago, Astrith said:

Hello Cornelius .

Many thanks for the reply .   I had taken the mount apart from the tripod then reassembled again .Have done as you suggested and the mount behaves normally . Would I be right in thinking there may be a telescope balance issue. Alan.........ps I am using a Skywatcher power pack fully charged.

it could be a balance issue. You also have a telrad fitted to the telescope so this maybe making it a little nose heavy.

10 minutes ago, Astrith said:

Cheers Derek .

I have fingers crossed hoping this isnt the case !! If so will have to buy new. Encoders ....mmm i dont know . Forgive my ignorance. As far as I know its a standard AZ go to mount with a syn scan handset. Best regards Alan.

The az-goto mount supplied with the Star Discovery 150P is a brand new product which is only available, as yet, with the Star Discovery 150P. 

2 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The az-goto mount supplied with the Star Discovery 150P is a brand new product which is only available, as yet, with the Star Discovery 150P. 

Again have learnt something new !! Alan.

Archived