Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A lot of moons in the same fov

glennbech

With the full moon up yesterday, and jupiter so close, I could not resist the tempation to drag my Megrez 90 out of the shed and try to get them in to the same field of view. 

And guess what, it worked! With my 72 degree 33mm WO SWAN I could see the western rim of the moon, jupiter and all it's companions. The total fov is 3.7 degrees.

Probably one of the finest views so far at the eyepieces for me! Do Jupiter and the moon come even closer? It would be cool fo be able to frame them both fully :)

20 minutes ago, glennbech said:

Do Jupiter and the moon come even closer? It would be cool fo be able to frame them both fully :)

Certainly do. Sometimes the moon will even occult (pass in front of) jupiter and the other planets, but these events are limited to specific areas on earth. Take a look at http://www.lunar-occultations.com/iota/occult4.htm (freeware) to get predictions for where you are.

Nice report and a nice view !

One of the best planetary views I've had was when Uranus really close to the Moon. I could get a portion of the lunar limb and Uranus in the FoV at 200x and the effect was fantastic. The tint of Uranus seemed to be enhanced by the proximity of the moon into a strong blue hue and the sense of scale and distance between the two was really palpable :icon_biggrin:

Archived