Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jpeg or RAW

Just a quick question. What is the preferred picture file format for images for input to a stacker programme? My camera will produce jpeg (high or low compression) or RAW. Normally I use jpeg with low compression.

Cheers

Steve

Unless you fancy doing some star trail imaging - I found out the hard way that the 300 RAW images I took didn't work in either of the Star Trail stacking programmes I had downloaded! :-)

But otherwise, RAW seems to work for most stuff!

8 hours ago, Marky1973 said:

Unless you fancy doing some star trail imaging - I found out the hard way that the 300 RAW images I took didn't work in either of the Star Trail stacking programmes I had downloaded! :-)

But otherwise, RAW seems to work for most stuff!

RAW isn't the only option, neither of my cameras RAW is supported in DSS, so I convert to DNG or 16 bit TIFF then use those files for stacking, works a treat.

For my Panasonic GH3 I use Adobes DNG converter app, for my Fuji X-pro1 I use Fuji's raw converter app (which is based on Silkypix).

Archived