NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ep upgrade

I am using a 1.25 celestron 12mm x-cel  LX on a nexstar 6 se and wondering if i would benefit from going up to a 2" ep and getting a better quality ep as i find the one i have not as clear as i was hoping for. As the 25 mm plossl is fine  i realise i will need to sort out the 25 as well  i was just hoping of  finding a way to make my viewing a bit clearer than i have at the moment especially   when looking at planetry objects  but also want something that would suit deep space 

any help pls

Stick with what you have for the moment. No point spending money until you are absolutely sure what you want/need. The view could be down to rubbish seeing/transparency. Yes 2" EP's do have benefits.

A really nice range of eps that work well with the SE scopes are Vixen NPL's. I have an 8se (can take both 1.25" and 2") and i am still using the 1.25". 

It will depend on what deep-space objects (DSO's) you plan on hunting. For extended objects like nebulae, you'd want a wide-field EP of 70° and bigger. But for seeing fine detailing on Jupiter's equatorial cloud-belts, you'd be better off with a smaller field-of-view (FOV). Just like telescopes, eyepieces, too, are good for certain types of viewing - while not so good on others. This is the reason I have several orthoscopic EP's for planetary viewing as ortho's tend to be in the neighborhood of 40° give-or-take.

Your choices for an extended object like the Veil-Nebula, as viewed through your F/10 SCT, would benefit from EP's with about a 70°, and higher, FOV. If you can afford just one TeleVue® eyepiece, look into the TV 24mm Panoptic eyepiece. I'll bet that the 24mm Panoptic would excel in a 6" F/10 SCT like yours. Or you could hunt for something wider still in a 2" format.

Happy hunting -

Dave

17 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

It will depend on what deep-space objects (DSO's) you plan on hunting. For extended objects like nebulae, you'd want a wide-field EP of 70° and bigger. But for seeing fine detailing on Jupiter's equatorial cloud-belts, you'd be better off with a smaller field-of-view (FOV). Just like telescopes, eyepieces, too, are good for certain types of viewing - while not so good on others. This is the reason I have several orthoscopic EP's for planetary viewing as ortho's tend to be in the neighborhood of 40° give-or-take.

Your choices for an extended object like the Veil-Nebula, as viewed through your F/10 SCT, would benefit from EP's with about a 70°, and higher, FOV. If you can afford just one TeleVue® eyepiece, look into the TV 24mm Panoptic eyepiece. I'll bet that the 24mm Panoptic would excel in a 6" F/10 SCT like yours. Or you could hunt for something wider still in a 2" format.

Happy hunting -

Dave

I'm a Nebulae guy and i love the views i get with my 8SE and 1.25" EP's (50 degrees FOV). I have no doubt that 2" EP's with a wider FOV would be better......but i just cant see myself buying 2" EP's to replace all my 1.25". In that regard...........i'll probably always be a 1.25" guy.

I'm happy,i enjoy the views..............thats all that matters.

Astronomy is not about what gear you have..........its all about what joy you get out of the gear you have.

There's no set-rule for using a wider FOV EP for such entities being better. If the 1.25" format is what one likes - by all means stick to them. And the TeleVue 24mm Panoptic is a 1.25" one. I too mostly stick to the 1.25" EP's. I think the 24mm Panoptic is the nicest 1.25" in my ridiculous collection of eyepieces! :eek::D

If there was a miscegenation-law regarding eyepieces - I'd have been a lawbreaker a very long time.....

Cheers!

Dave

2 hours ago, laudropb said:

I have found the X-Cel Range to be very good eyepieces. I think you should give it a chance. I may very well be down to poor seeing conditions.

Its just that since i git the se i seem somewhat dissappointed with what i am seeing  i had a skywatcher eq90 before which seemed ok but obviously the image size wasnt as big and thats why i changed 

i just want to be able to see the planets a bit clearer and thought maybe because tje x cel wanat the moat expensive could it be down on quality 

at a loss as to what i should do???

2 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I'm a Nebulae guy and i love the views i get with my 8SE and 1.25" EP's (50 degrees FOV). I have no doubt that 2" EP's with a wider FOV would be better......but i just cant see myself buying 2" EP's to replace all my 1.25". In that regard...........i'll probably always be a 1.25" guy.

I'm happy,i enjoy the views..............thats all that matters.

Astronomy is not about what gear you have..........its all about what joy you get out of the gear you have.

I Also would like to see more nebulas and not sure what to get both my wife and i always look at m42  orion nebula and would love to find some more but also enjoy the planets i know i need different ep for both but want to know what i need to get

Archived