Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Outdoor storage - opinions please

AWR

I'm looking at somewhere to keep my scope outside (mainly to remove the need to wait for cool down).  Whilst I'd love an observatory, we don't have the space, we have too many trees and there are too many lights.  My shed is already full to the brim.

I was looking at these:

http://www.biohort.com/en/products/storemax.html

Fahrradboxen, Mülltonnenschrank - Biohort

The small one would be just big enough to keep the tripod and mount/ota next to each other.  They seem very well made with good reviews (but not from people storing expensive telescope gear).

I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions.  Water?  Damp?  Temperature?

Many thanks,

Andrew

30 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Very expensive. You would almost certainly have to put desiccant pouches in to combat condensation and place it in the shade to help combat over heating.

I can live with the price if it does what I want.

Temperature: This is a worry.  I have shade but will that be enough?

It's waterproof and ventilated (they recommend it for storing cushions etc).  Do most people who store in a shed or obsy use some type of dehumidifier?

Andrew

I have built an observatory and have had discussions back and forth about the need for a dehumidifier if the shed is well ventilated (which you say your box is).  There is a view  that this may not be needed if you have airflow.  As a gadget freak, of course, I have a dehumidifier.

I think if I had a Dob then something like your bike box might be quite useful.  It sounds though as if you are just going to be using it as outdoor storage for your tripod and SCT.  The 'joy' of an observatory is the massively reduced set up time.  It does not sound as if you will be getting this advantage - other than cool down time for the OTA.

If space is at a premium, have you thought about just having a permanent pier or pier/mount.  The other solution might be a roll-away sentry box type set up.  There will be plenty of examples of these in the DIY Observatory threads.  

The problem is more the layout of the garden than actual space.  The lower half of my garden is dominated by trees.  Go too far down the garden and the trees are in the way, Too near the top and then the house is in the way.  The only place where a pier or obsy could work is slap bang in the middle of the lawn.  My chance of getting planning permission for that is less than zero.

At least on the tripod I can move around a bit, finding gaps depending on what I want to see.  I'm also planning to take it into school with me (I'm a teacher) and maybe attend some of the Baker St events in Regents Park.

You're right, my main reason for looking at outdoor storage is cool-down time (which is quite a lot for a big SCT).  If the pros do not outway the cons then I won't bother.

However, the thought in my head now is run a power line out and have a small dehumidifier and a dedicated outdoor socket. In for a penny, in for a pound.

Andrew

Sounds like you need a gazebo!!!!

If it is just for cool down, then why not just set up a bit earlier?  It seems to me that you are taking additional 'risks' (creepy crawlies, weather, thievery, and so on) for very little gain.  

Archived