Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CPC1100 Second night

AWR

I had a very brief (second) night out with my new set-up tonight:  CPC1100 - this time with an AstroZap heated dew shield running off a 24Ah Tracer battery.  (I have anther power supply for the heater turning up soon for use when at home and I'll try and run both the mount and heater off the battery, away from home when my DewBuster arrives).

Some thoughts in no particular order:

• I love this scope
  • It's a bit of a beast but it is easily manageable by one person (unlike my dob - Steps!).  Set out the tripod, then the OTA and mount are easy to sit on top and lock into place.
  • The SkyAlign works really well.  The GPS locks on within seconds and then you can just choose any three bright stars - you don't even need to know what they are!  (But you have to tell it what time zone you're in if you want to know the right time - not that it affects the GOTO).  Every object near the middle of my field of view.
  • I saw Uranus for the first time tonight!
  • I can see galaxies! (Now this might not seem like a big deal, but I live only a few miles from Heathrow. If anyone thinks they can outdo my light pollution then bring it on!)
  • It's more that this is my first GOTO scope - I'm loving it.  I like the fact that i can see something cool, go and grab the wife and daughter and the scope is still pointing at it!
  • The heated dewshield has worked 1/1 so far!  My last session was cut short by industrial amounts of dew.  Tonight's was cut short by cloud.  I used a cheapy Hitec Astro controller on half power but I've ordered a Dewbuster which I hope will enable me to be frugal on power.
  • The Tracer battery is great. It's a lot smaller than I expected.  The T-Bar connectors feel really good.  I'm going via a cigar socket at the moment but I'll connect to the Dewbuster using Anderson Power Pole connectors (they really NEED to be the standard!)  The battery even has a little jacket.
  • I'm still waiting to see Jupiter!
  • I need a 2" moon filter!

I'll take some photos when it's all together next.

Andrew

Welcome to the world of big cats.

I've just deforked my ageing Nexstar C11 and its now sitting proudly on an EQ8 - and I'm also like a kid with a new toy too. Just haven;t got used to the way a GEM operates as opposed the fork mounted C11

I loved my CPC 1100 when I had mine.  My interests changed though so I sold it onwards.  That was no fault of the scope - a superb instrument in every way.  I'm glad you like yours and may it give you many years of use and enjoyment.

Archived