Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2" Eyepiece advice

Well I finally got to see some stars last night with the new scope I ended up using the 28mm 2" Deepview that came with the scope practically the whole session which lasted about a hour and a half before the optics frosted over. I am really liking this 2" eyepiece, after I had done the 2 star alignment, to test it, I tried the tour option, first up was the Beehive and wow so many stars, it took about 30 seconds to actually pick out the main stars that make up the beehive shape which are the only ones I can see in the H130p, absolutely stunning. As I expected about 80% of the objects in the tour are hidden behind houses, buildings and trees or are beyond what my level of light pollution will allow. If the weather allows, tonight I will try and pick some targets that are in my FOV. Anyway back to the question, I've been looking at the GSO 2" 42mm Superview as a partner for the 28mm. It seems to get good reviews and is supposed to be best bang for your buck in that price range. Does anybody here have any thoughts on that choice or know of something better in that price range.

What scope are you using ?

The Superviews are quite good with a slow scope (F/10 etc) but show lots of astigmatism in faster scopes, eg: F/7, F/5 etc. The exit pupil that a 42mm eyepiece creates will be too large to be efficient when the scope focal ratio falls below F/7 or thereabouts.

The 130P is a fast scope at f/5 - f/6.  The Baader Hyperions do not perform well in fast scopes (soft at the edges), also the OP said he was looking at 2" ep's, the Hyperion is intrinsically a 1.25" ep.  The FTR's do not work if the 2" mode is used.

10 minutes ago, rwilkey said:

The 130P is a fast scope at f/5 - f/6.  The Baader Hyperions do not perform well in fast scopes (soft at the edges), also the OP said he was looking at 2" ep's, the Hyperion is intrinsically a 1.25" ep.  The FTR's do not work if the 2" mode is used.

Told ya i was new :happy6:, i still like it and it still seems to work just fine as a 2".

Archived