Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which MONO camera to buy? Solar Ha, Cak and WL.

Ant

I'm giving some thought to a new camera. I was thinking USB3, but I've now seen the Point Grey GigE cameras - these appear to connect via a Cat5 lead.

Is this correct?

I would like a cameras that I can take FULL disc solar (and lunar) with the PST (FL 400mm and ST102 with Herschel wedge and Lunt CaK wedge (FL 500mm ish).

How do I go about working out the minimum chip size to achieve this? Is there a formula to say that the minimum side of a chip needs to be 6mm or 8mm...

I have bought more cameras than I can poke a stick at over the years and would like to get it right this time.

Cheers

Ant

As the sun is 0.5 deg in diameter, working at prime focus your chip size must be at least 0.009 x FL (Focal Length) in size (smallest dimension), for a bit more leeway, 0.01 x FL: so a 500mm scope requires a chip with a smallest dimension of 5mm to fit the full disk.

I use the rather bigger ASI174MM (excellent camera) for solar, and use tele-centric lenses to adjust the scale.

I have a PGBFly that connects by Cat 5 cable which is OK , they did do USB3 at the time but the drivers were a bit flakey so got the ethernet one, would probably get the USB3 version if I bought another one.

Dave

I do like the idea of the Cat5 connection, because it means that I can continue to use my imaging laptop (which is only USB2) - otherwise I need to use the USB3 laptop, which my wife uses for her business.

I also fancied the Atik Infinity > http://www.firstlightoptics.com/atik-cameras/atik-infinity-monocolour-video-astronomy-guiding-imaging-camera.html <, but its out of my budget really.

Cheers
Ant

Archived