Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQMOD and CommErr messages

Leveye

A question for the experts. My new Atlas Pro AZ/EQ-G mount seems to be slewing fine using EQMOD with both my laptop and desktop computers using an FTDI serial converter which shows signal flow both ways however I do see in the messages center window I'm getting constant CommErr messages. Should this concern me and will this cause any issues when I finally try auto guiding? Many thanks.  

Oh forgot to mention I'm connected through the V4 Synscan handset with the supplied cable and an FTDI usb serial adapter showing good signal flow in both directions in PC direct mode. So far zero issues and no interruptions. Just curious why i'm getting the messages at all.

Edited by Leveye

Lets be a little careful here! - only a correctly wired up FTDI aapter can be plugged straight into the mount. As a synscan in PC-Direct mode is bein gused this implies the ftdi adapter in question is a usb-RS232 type and not an EQDirect.

You shouldn't really be getting communicatons errors - that does indicate that something isn't working as welll as it should be -it may be the occasional timeout , which EQMOD can tollerate - but if EQMOD experiences a number of consecutive failures it will play safe and try to stop the mount from moving.

Chriis.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, chrisshillito said:

Lets be a little careful here! - only a correctly wired up FTDI aapter can be plugged straight into the mount. As a synscan in PC-Direct mode is bein gused this implies the ftdi adapter in question is a usb-RS232 type and not an EQDirect.

You shouldn't really be getting communicatons errors - that does indicate that something isn't working as welll as it should be -it may be the occasional timeout , which EQMOD can tollerate - but if EQMOD experiences a number of consecutive failures it will play safe and try to stop the mount from moving.

Chriis.

I have it set up in the living room and have been testing it daily it has been slewing and tracking perfectly for a week now since initial set up. Pointing right were it should every time. Nothing unusual except when tracking in lunar after about 1/2 an hour it's off a bit. In solar it takes a few hours and it's off. I'll post a picture of the CommErr messages today.

Edited by Leveye

Ok I've changed the locations setting to make things a bit tighter and more correct. This has slowed the err messages some but I still get them about every 15 minutes or so. Again the mount slews to proper position every time and tracking is smooth with no interruptions. The solar and lunar seems to drift after about 45 minutes or so. A real outdoor test as soon as the rains let up.

IMG_8478[1].JPG

Yes, well that's definately a miss read of the RA axis encoder (ER)- the absolute absolute maximum value this can reach is 16777215.  DEC (ED) looks ok as do the RA and DEC motor status MSR and MSD. If EQMOD recieves bad data then it will use a simulated value instead until the next read - if it does this 5 times sucessively then it will stop the mount as it hasn't got what it deems to be full control. The fact your mount continues to run implies this is just an occasional, and short lived glitch.

If you had an EQDirect adpater to hand I would advise you to try that and compare - A direct connecton using an EQDirect is the most robust method of connecting EQMOD to the mount and while ever the sysncan is in the mix there is always some doubt over its own internal buffering and routing of the comms. Not sayig the synscan is a fault but it is at least one variable that can be removed.

Chris.

Edited by chrisshillito
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, chrisshillito said:

Yes, well that's definately a miss read of the RA axis encoder (ER)- the absolute absolute maximum value this can reach is 16777215.  DEC (ED) looks ok as do the RA and DEC motor status MSR and MSD. If EQMOD recieves bad data then it will use a simulated value instead until the next read - if it does this 5 times sucessively then it will stop the mount as it hasn't got what it deems to be full control. The fact your mount continues to run implies this is just an occasional, and short lived glitch.

If you had an EQDirect adpater to hand I would advise you to try that and compare - A direct connecton using an EQDirect is the most robust method of connecting EQMOD to the mount and while ever the sysncan is in the mix there is always some doubt over its own internal buffering and routing of the comms. Not sayig the synscan is a fault but it is at least one variable that can be removed.

Chris.

Thank you so very much for looking at it and giving me your take and advice on this. Much appreciated. I will try that eventually. Would you know why the tracking drifts off center so much after about an hour in solar and lunar in simulations? Sidereal seems fine. It stays centered on objects for hours.

Edited by Leveye

• 4 years later...