Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Installing unmounted RGB Filters into filter wheel

Droogie 2001

Hi,

I have recently received my new mono CCD as well as a set of 31mm unmounted RGB Astronomik filters.
After a bit of testing screws lengths I began installing.
Now the Astronomik filters have a protective band around them which makes one side of the filter slightly recessed and the other a smoother flush side. Originally I was expecting simply glass only filters so this lead me to query should the recessed side face the sensor side or star side? After checking I found a mixture of opinions so I went about installing the smoother / flatter side towards the stars.

The filters fit nicely either way but I want to make sure I am not introducing potential issues (reflections etc)
Just to add both sides of the filters look identical.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Tinker1947 said:

For me, which ever way gets the closer to the sensor.......

I would agree as you would hope that this prientation would reduce vignetting.  Baader filters have an arrow pencilled onto the edge of the filter so that the filter can be oriented with the arrow facing the llight path.  Don't know if the Astronomiks have a similar marking on their protective band?  Does their website give any instruction?

Thanks for the responses. I have emailed Astronomik support, still waiting for a response. The vendor I purchased from suggested flat side nearer the stars which is what I have done. 

It will be a pain as I will have to switch around...

I could not see anything on the filters will look at website in more detail. Surprised this question does not come up more.

Archived