Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with new telescope

Hi guys finally got my new telescope, went for the skywatcher explorer 130m eq2 in the end, was all I can afford for now as other priorities. Very happy with it so far, one or two things that im confused about after setting it up. Hope you can help...

The altitude adjustment t knob: Is this the only way to set the trajectory of the scope and if so whats the easiest way to point it up and down....seems cumbersome and stiff with the weight of the scope (must be how im doing it)

Im confused because if I set the latitude to 51 for uk, whays the point if I have to move the scope to view different objects?

The flexible control cables: dont seem to move anything, or is it for extremely fine tuning noticable only when observing? (Have only briefly observed in daylight to test, which was amazing btw)

The azimuth lock knob: is this the only way to turn the scope left and right? If so, do you only unscrew it a tiny bit as it obviously holds the mount on and was worried about over loosening

Seems a lot of points but as a newbie these are the teething troubles im finding, thanks guys, Adam

Hi Adamchiv. You have acquired an Equatorial type of mount. When you adjust the mount with the tilt adjuster you should set it at your local latitude so check that with google maps or suitable app. I would guess for your location it will be close to 54 degrees.  This is setting the mount not the telescope. You orientate the scope by loosening the clutches on each axis and moving it to your desired target then lock them again.  The control cables are for fine adjustments and in the case of the RA axis for counteracting the rotation of the Earth so 360 deg in 24 hours.

there are videos around on setting up such mounts.

Take a look at this equatorial mount tutorial http://www.astronomyboy.com/eq/ . The short animations show how to slew the telescope around on an eq mount and point it in different directions. Once the mount is correctly set up you only need to move the telescope using the RA and DEC axis only, there is no need to adjust the latitude or azimuth axis. The slo-mo cables are for fine tune only. If you wish to move the telescope you need to loosen the RA and DEC axis locking screws and repoint the telescope hand. Retighten the locking screws once the target is approximately in the finder and then fine tune using the slo-mo controls.  The DEC axis slo-mo can only be rotated a certain number of turns before it will reach the end of it's travel so don't use this to slew the mount, just use it to fine tune.

ps don't try to adjust the latitude bolt with the telescope attached to the mount. If you must do this, lift the telescope slightly to take the weight off the bolt.

Archived