NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best short tube refractor.

Hi all,

I'm interested in a shorty, something around the size of a TS optics ED 70 which is only 31cm with dew shield retracted. I quite like this little carbon fibre OTA, but is there something better i should throw my money at?

Must be 2" and under £1000, must be f6 or faster, apochromatic and have a great focuser, it's main use will be DSO' imaging with a DSLR.

What would you recommend?

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Geordie mc said:

I have the TS 65mm quadruplet. Very good build quality. Nice and small to transport on holiday. Really pleased with it and good service from Teleskopp Service too.

Yes i am seriously swayed towards the TS, along with my manfrotto camera tripod and a star adventurer this will take up very little space in my tiny boot and make for a great take anywhere setup.

The Skywatcher 80mm Esprit pro may also suit you, it certainly matches your requirements :happy11: it is also great for visual, terrestrial and works a treat for full disc solar observing when used in combo with a Quark, I do not use it for photography as yet but this was a future consideration when I purchased it

3 hours ago, Pig said:

The Skywatcher 80mm Esprit pro may also suit you, it certainly matches your requirements :happy11: it is also great for visual, terrestrial and works a treat for full disc solar observing when used in combo with a Quark, I do not use it for photography as yet but this was a future consideration when I purchased it

I already have the Evostar 80ED  PRO and funnily enough i did wish i had bought the esprit instead, the scope will be used solely for DSO AP, i'm wondering if spending over twice as much is going to yield images that justify spending double what i would on the TS.

I have read some reviews on the TS and a lot of people seem to upgrade the focuser and as a result this lessens the cost gap betwixt the two :happy8: 

Mind you I must add I have not done any astro-photography whatsoever so I am in no position to suggest what is the better, what I can say is the Esprit does knock spots off any other scope I have owned for the quality of views. If it wasn't for the full solar disc view I wanted I would have gone for the 100mm :happy7: They are also very well put together and very handsome scopes indeed (the diagonal is the weak link, but still its not that bad).

All this choice has to be a good thing :help:

10 minutes ago, Pig said:

I have read some reviews on the TS and a lot of people seem to upgrade the focuser and as a result this lessens the cost gap betwixt the two :happy8: 

Mind you I must add I have not done any astro-photography whatsoever so I am in no position to suggest what is the better, what I can say is the Esprit does knock spots off any other scope I have owned for the quality of views. If it wasn't for the full solar disc view I wanted I would have gone for the 100mm :happy7: They are also very well put together and very handsome scopes indeed (the diagonal is the weak link, but still its not that bad).

All this choice has to be a good thing :help:

The focuser was my first concern actually as i had to modify my ED80,s to pull my DSLR, however the reviews for the TS say it will happily pull a DSLR.

There is also a nice WO Megrez 72 i have seen, so yes, plenty of choice, decisions, decisions.

Archived