NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is there a straight through finder with correct image?

Hi.

Is there a straight through finder scope in which you can see the image straight up and left/right as in real life? All binoculars have that, but I was thinking about half a binocular. I haven't seen that in finder scopes. Does it exist?

The reason for asking is that I consider a new finder scope, and have a RACI model in mind. But as I already have to sit behind my scope to look into the Rigel Quikfinder, it would be practical if the finder scope also had it's eyepiece in the same direction. Today with my 90 degree finder, I often need to stand up to look into the finder, and sit down again to look into the Rigel or the eyepiece of the telescope.

If I understand it right, all straight through refractor finders, show an image upside down and left/right swapped.

3 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The ES 8x50 illuminated finder is corrected to give a right way up image http://www.explorescientific.co.uk/en/Optical-accessories/ES-8x50-Illuminated-Finder-Scope.html

Thanks for that Peter. I've been wondering about finding one of these to fit on my larger scope for a while now. 

I still need to observe a bit more though my current 6x30 90 degree finder. I think that when I view objects not so high above the horizon that a straight through finder is most benificial. But when looking at Zenith or thereabout a 90 degree finder might be more comfortable. A difficult choice.

10 minutes ago, Linda said:

I suspect that the last finder is the same as the ES finder.

39 minutes ago, Putaendo Patrick said:

Providing you can find a way to mount it, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use an inexpensive telescopic sight for an air rifle. Perhaps something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Simmons-8-point-3-9x50mm-CrossHair-Rifle-Scope-02332-/222002240396?hash=item33b05d5b8c:g:KyQAAOSwUV9WodXu

I'm not sure the rifle scope would work that well for us. The rifle scope has an eye relief of 3.75" (95.25mm) which might make it awkward to use at higher elevations.

Archived