Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How best to connect SX EFW to 8" SCT

Uplooker

Hi All,

I currently use a SX 7 position EFW with a QHY9 when imaging with my 6" Newt. I would like to try my hand at RGB planetary imaging with my Celestron 8" SCT. Note I plan on using a IS DMK31 - not the QHY9

The purists amongst you would suggest getting the correct collar to fit to the front of the SX FW and screw it to the visual back of the SCT. I would agree to a point. It is a right flaff to have to undo and redo the 3 off screws that hold the collar onto the front of the FW, make sure the threads are positioned correctly so the any / all equipment is in the correct orientation etc. I have tried yet but I suspect that it would be difficult if not impossible to thread the FW directly to the visual back of the SCT not least because of the fact that as you were rotating the FW to attach it, it would connect with the native SCT focuser.

The collar I currently have on the front of the FW when I attach it to the Newt is the correct size to take the threads of a SW coma corrector, thereby giving me a 2 inch barrel size on the front that slots nicely into my 2" focuser. 

I would like to stick with this front collar and suspect that I have another 2" collar, without lens, that could screw into this, thereby still giving a 2 inch barrel to fit "into" the back of the SCT.

To achieve the final fit to the SCT I would propose using one of these, which I already have:-http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-sct-to-2-inch-adapter.html

The reason I propose the solution above is that it makes it very straight forward to switch between using the FW on my SCT and Newt.

How does everyone else attach their filter wheel / camera to an SCT?

I look forward to you're thoughts / suggestions

Not directly relevant, but this is how I used to connect my imaging rig to a Celestron C8. I got an AE478 adaptor that provided a 2" drawtube on the back of the C8. I could then setup different imaging setups with a 2" nosepiece and just side them into the drawtube.

CanonOAG106mm.jpg

C8SCTOAGSetup.jpg

Hi Blue & Pete,

Thank you very much for the information. I am feeling a bit of an eejit. It is that long since I had used my C8 I had forgotten that i had an Revelation external focuser, I had lent it to a neighbour. May well have to utilise a couple of Baader fine tuning rings to attach it, but hey ho. Will sort out a more permanent solution eventually. I have also ordered a T2 to C mount adapter so that I may attach my DMK31, without having to change the rings on either side of my FW.

Thank you once again for posting.

Archived