Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IDAS LP Filter P2 or D1?

Droogie 2001

Apologies if this has been asked before but I was just looking to purchase an IDAS LP filter for my forthcoming mono CCD. When I went to the FLO site I noticed that there are two types the D1 and P2.
I am looking at the 2" and both cost the same.
Which is the better one for my setup as they both seem to support CCD and DSLR?

My skies are in an orange zone.

Thanks

Hopefully the graphic attached below, from the TS website will explain:

D1 is optimised for DSLR and single shot OSC cameras and gives a good colour balance, P2 is optimised for monochrome cameras, it passes a little more of the S2 band which is only weakly detected by DSLR and OSC cameras. For a mono camera the P2 is best.

Just read a review from last Saturday on the P2 on FLO's site. Bit worrying about the reported reflections as I would be using it on 71mm Refractor. There is a previous review from 2013 saying that the issue is there but not too bad.
Where does this leave me...I realise this is one persons review but as someone mentioned the same issue from 2/3 years previous it caught my attention...

That said the WO Star 71 is built differently though ultimately it does have a reducer built into the imaging train. Back to researching I think....

Latest review:

"I've personally found only 1 combination of my own optics that does _not_ produce unacceptable reflections (A Televue refractor without using the reducer), all other times I've tried to use it (10" SCT with f/6.3 reducer, 127mm Refractor with 0.8x reducer, 80mm refractor with field flattener) the results were unusable. It must be said that the IDAS is a very effective LP filter but the internal reflections it produces render the results useless under many circumstances."

After further checking on these forums its seems that Refractors are not as affected or in fact not affected at all?

Seems if you have the filter at the front of your imaging train helps as well, this is how I am looking to mount the filter.
I wonder if this is a general issue or just with the IDAS's? Annoying as these filters are well regarded for their LP performance.
Probably looking to far into it but I am determined to try and build a imaging setup with as few qwerks as possible at least from the outset.

I think the issue of reflections is purely down to the individual circumstances  . I use on with a canon 6d without any issues but circumstances are always different . I would try to borrow one from your local club and test it out before committing 

I think the issue of reflections is purely down to the individual circumstances  . I use on with a canon 6d without any issues but circumstances are always different . I would try to borrow one from your local club and test it out before committing 

Archived