Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon IS-L 10x42 for astronomy and birding

seiko

I'm waiting for some stock to arrive before ordering but I wanted to ask those using these binoculars how they find them for astronomy and birding?

I have an old pair of Tasco 7x50 binoculars tasco 322bcw that have served me well, no focus worries and light weight with bright views. How will the Canon's stack up to these? Manual focus, slightly less aperture, heavier but more magnification, better lens? and IS?

On the down side they're a tiny spot weighty - but nothing to be troubled about - entirely usable - that's about it for negatives.

For the rest of it they're awesome - the IS is brilliant and the lenses are crystal - that "L" series glass is top notch. Beautiful views of the night sky and not an ounce of stars dodging around in the dioptors. I'm always blown away with mine and so too is anybody I lend them to for a look. They work fantastic for both night sky and birding, and watching modern bombers doing practice runs - can see the the pilot in detail clear as daylight as you track the plane. :)

A friend let me use his Canon is  bins at Kielder a few years ago. I was blown away by the ease and view. I shake a lot normally and cannot keep the view still. But the Canon bins sorted that out fine for me. They were the older version and I believe were heavier than the newer ones.

I liked them. can't say any more.

Derek

You'll love 'em I guarantee - good decision! :)

It's also worth getting the screw on lens shields - the rubbery caps supplied are a fiddly pain to clip on properly. Maybe the problem is fixed in the latest model you are getting though.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Try Wex Photographic - I'm sure they can source the lens hoods which I know are available cos another guy got some in the US. If you can't find them, then maybe camera ones with the right thread - still trying to source them in UK myself. :)

(The only saving grace is they are waterproof - but have to be careful not to smear them with finger prints).

Archived