NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

5 planets

It needs to be shortly before sunrise to have a chance of seeing Mercury. You will need an unobstructed view of the southeastern horizon with no low cloud. I read somewhere that the maximum elevation of Mercury during this alignment will be 3 degrees, which is three thumb widths above the sea with an outstretched arm.

If you are going to spend time observing each planet through a scope you should do that before Mercury rises as once it is up it will only be minutes before the others disappear in the dawn sky.

You'd think the end-of-the-world people would have a field day, but for some reason they've missed this opportunity!

I've never seen Mercury, btw. Never ever. It's always lost in the glare when I try.

Out early yesterday: Jupiter superb, Mars good, Saturn fair, Venus looked sweet with the supplied light Cl 0 Ud filter and the rest was history. Looked at the Moon with a 58A green filter to cut a bit of the glare, then went back to Jupiter with the same 58 in the early morning light about an hour before sunrise - rather interesting, never tried that before :icon_biggrin:

By the way, a nice little site to identify and simulate the movement of the Galilean moons of Jupiter:

http://www.shallowsky.com/jupiter/

Archived