NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ5 RA motor slewing

miguel87

I have literallu just fitted the EQ5 RA motor to my mount and everything seems ok.

Even the 8x movement speed is imperceptively slow so for slewing large amounts it suggests loosening the RA locking screw.

This feels a bit odd. I cant get my head around how this actually works. Does it have to be done up tight to engage the motor? Can i cause any damage using it incorrectly. Does he have to be completely unscrewef to slew manually?

Mike

I have literallu just fitted the EQ5 RA motor to my mount and everything seems ok.

Even the 8x movement speed is imperceptively slow so for slewing large amounts it suggests loosening the RA locking screw.

This feels a bit odd. I cant get my head around how this actually works. Does it have to be done up tight to engage the motor? Can i cause any damage using it incorrectly. Does he have to be completely unscrewef to slew manually?

Mike

Yes the RA clutch does need to be tight to engage the motor, but to manually move the telescope without the motors you need to release the clutch (lever on side of mount), move the telescope to its new target and then retighten the clutch to re-engage the motors. The knurled wheel on the RA gear shaft can also be loosened to allow operation of the original RA slo-mo cable.

Yes that's all there is to it, loosen both clutches, then find your target and tighten the clutches

again, if your target is not in the center of the eyepiece then use the 8 times to move the target. 

Archived