Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Eudiascopic ED Eyepiece

bomberbaz

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-eudiascopic-ed-eyepieces.html

Has anybody tried these EP's by any chance. I am not rushing out to buy one but weighing up a few options.

I have space (read desire) to own a 9 or 10mm narrow field eyepiece at this size. Currently I have, with the powermate a Vixen 25mm Plossl = 12.5mm and Vixen 15mm SLV = 7.5MM, BOTH 50 DEGREE fov. The Nikon, although an amazing piece of glass does have limitations due to the great 102 FOV.

Anyway, back to the Baader EP.  Has anyone used it and if so, is it A) as good as they claim it should be and B) what the Eye relief like. They claim it should be fine for us speccies but I have found in the past thats not always the case

Steve

I believe these are a 5 element modified plossl design very similar or the same as the original Celestron Ultima, Orion Ultrascopic, Parks Gold Plossls and Antares Elite Plossls.

I've owned a few of these in the 35mm, 30mm 10mm, 7.5mm and 5mm focal lengths (not all the above ranges have those FL's) and they are nice eyepieces, comparable to Tele Vue plossls in terms of build and optical quality.

Their eye relief is not that good though, I felt, similar to plossls.

I have to say that I've felt that the Baader Eudiascopic's that I've seen for sale seem a little expensive for what they are.

The 35mm has the largest apparent field that can be fitted into the 1.25" barrel size but to do that they place the field stop above the top of the barrel and in the body of the eyepiece. The result of this is that the 35mm requires quite a bit more inward focusser travel than many other eyepieces.

Thanks John. You kinda said what I thought. If they are modelled around the plossl I can't see a 10mm one being suitable for a glasses wearer like me. I think I will leave it.

Actually after I posted I remembered I still have a 18mm Vixen Lathanum eyepiece, these were the first of its type that led to the now SLV version so I believe. So with that in mind and considering I have an excellent TV 2x P.Mate, I think that I will make that a keeper as I won't get anything like its value 2nd hand.

Cheers again though John

Steve

i own and use a pair of 35mm baader eudias in binoviewer and i like them a lot.

They are 5 element design as John mentioned above ,however,they are not modified plossls but erfle design off masuyama 5 el. erfles....

Something like this ?:

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/485132-35-ultrascopic-revealed-p-masuyama/

I wonder whether the Eudiascopic 35mm has the "classic" Masuyama design or the slightly simpler Celestron Ultima / Orion Ultrascopic design ?

Have to take one apart I guess.

Something like this ?:

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/485132-35-ultrascopic-revealed-p-masuyama/

I wonder whether the Eudiascopic 35mm has the "classic" Masuyama design or the slightly simpler Celestron Ultima / Orion Ultrascopic design ?

Have to take one apart I guess.

not sure what mine has inside ,but i have no desire to dismantle mine! :)

I think, if you have the 18mm Vixen LV, that will have better eye relief if you wear glasses, I think between 15mm and 20mm?

They should barlow very well and retain similar eye relief, so definitely worth trying that combination before splashing out more cash. I think that for specs wearers the received wisdom is a minimum of c 14-15mm of eye relief, but if that's wrong I'm sure a resident glasses wearer will correct me :icon_biggrin:

Good luck!

Dave

I think, if you have the 18mm Vixen LV, that will have better eye relief if you wear glasses, I think between 15mm and 20mm?

They should barlow very well and retain similar eye relief, so definitely worth trying that combination before splashing out more cash. I think that for specs wearers the received wisdom is a minimum of c 14-15mm of eye relief, but if that's wrong I'm sure a resident glasses wearer will correct me :icon_biggrin:

Good luck!

Dave

To be honest Dave its actually 16mm or more in some more advance, concave front lens designs to maybe 18 or 19 even.

The 18MM LV is a little corker and like I said, withdrawn from sale  :icon_biggrin:

Archived