NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Horse head and flame nebulas in Ha...and a little problem :(

Luis Campos

Hi all,

Yay!!! A clear night... this is a reason to celebrate now...lol

Didn't last long though, but it was enough to give a run on the horsie and flame nebulas in halpha with the mono Canon 550D and 200mm newt. (now stopped down to 175mm f/4.6) smile.gif

Unfortunately my Baader MPCC come corrector and halpha filter have a tendency to produce nasty halos on very bright stars, there's such a halo near Alnitak, I tried to clean it up but it's still there, do you guys know of a good method to clean this up?

I'm really happy with this one, very nice details showing, check out the little "horn" on the nose of the horse head, this means a good resolution is beeing achived smile.gif

Here the full resolution image:

https://www.flickr.c...eposted-public/

Here at 50% resolution:

Here a crop of the horse head at 70% resolution:

Hope you enjoy...and let's hope for clear skies, don't loose hope guys!

Cheers,

Luís

Which version of the Baader are you using? Mk II's are notorious for this problem, but the MkIII is much, much better.

The only temporary fix I can think of is a layer mask, but as it stands you've got it well under control.

Hi Rob,

This is the very first generation, yes I think you are right, I read somewere that the new generation MPCC's are much better as you say :) In that case I'll have to live with it for now ;)

Cheers,

very nice horse and flame Luis

how have you stopped it down because i think that may be the problem you have 2 reflections of Alnitak the the left side of Alnitak but a great picture no the less.

Hi Chris,

Well spotted :)

This is in fact two sets of images, the camera had a slight variation in orientation between the two set (2x 6x20min. subs) this is why I have two overlayed reflections.

BTW...the image looks much darker on this pc I'm using, maybe I should raise the black point a bit...? It looked better on my other PC were I processed it.

Cheers,

i wasn't picking fault's Luis just wondered if it was they way you stopped it down from 200 to 1.75 that gave the halo's.

i get the halo's when i use a 2" uhc filter on the skywatcher coma correcter in com junction with the Baader 36mm unmounted L & S2 filters on the efw2 if that makes sense, so i no longer use the uhc filter and dont seem to be bothered with them now.

Archived