Unexpected Treasures, 12Th Jan.

Size9Hex

Life has been rather frantic in recent weeks, and a chance to get outside with the scope to enjoy the tranquility of a clear moonless night was most welcome. A temporary respite from the current chaos and pressure.

With no plan, I found myself drawn towards easy targets to avoid the (occasional) frustration of searching and concentrating, and yet the real delights were seen in their shadow, too shy to step forward.

Orion was typically spectacular, but delicate E and F in the Trapezium were spotted for the first and second time respectively. Iota Orionis nearby, noted for the first time as having a splendid companion. The view came and went as cold gusts of wind took hold of the scope.

The Crab Nebula, showing a faintly irregular and tattered shape. Not entirely obvious to me consciously, but part of me could sense it wasn't just another smooth elliptical galaxy. And then from nowhere, the bright but unremarkable star in the same view became a delightful double, STF 742.

Over to the usual Messier open clusters in Auriga, and it's impossible not to keep going to the honorary Auriga cluster M35 down in Gemini. Viewed near the zenith, with my jaw open in wonder despite some previous familiarity. But alongside these, the open clusters of NGC 1907 and 2158 were both spotted. The latter was particularly wonderful, and a new purchase promoted it from a thumbprint patch at medium magnification to an exquisite scattering of stars at 180x.

Not expecting tomorrow's chaos to show me any sympathy if I stayed out all night, I reluctantly packed up fairly early.

It's wonderful to see a little more each time I'm out, particularly when it's just from spotting something and getting curious, rather than a pre-planned ambush on a target.

Thanks for reading, assuming you got this far :-)

Good report. I recently viewed the 3 popular messiers in auriga, they are a fine sight and a good objective for a beginner like me, I.e. not too hard to find and look great in a modest scope. Next time I'll be trying to spot 1907!

Nice report. Good luck with the chaos.

Make sure that you look out the triple/quad Sigma Orionis next time you are in the area.

Paul

Thanks Paul. Terrific recommendation! Not one I was aware of. I had a quick peep last night. Three stars initially, but when the scope had cooled a bit, a fourth appeared leading them out. Lovely view, which I thought looked almost like Jupiter and moons. :-)

Archived