NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New EQ6 pro Develops Fault

jcm

I have had to return my new EQ6 Pro. I mounted the C9.25 on it today. The RA moves fine at all speeds the Dec however just gives a loud clicking sound but does not move. Its running off a 10A power supply so its not a power problem.

I could have a look at the gears myself but sending it back is best. The company I bought it from are collecting it on Friday. Anybody come across this problem ? So now no mount , no obs - but at least the weather is carp :D

John

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's awful bad news John. It may well be a simple fix, but discretion is the byword, and you were wise to return it, who knows what problems you would reap if you dismantled it yourself, seeing it is still under warranty.

Hope it is soon back on site mate.

Ron.

I had that fault, one motor working and the other clicking. It was the power, may be just a coincidence....

The power supply I am using worked fine on the HEQ5.

The RA works at all speeds , if I stop the RA and just operate the Dec it just clicks.

John

It sound like a meshing problem, probably with the main gear from the DEC motor to slave that drives the worm. Probably easy to adjust but as it is under guarantee, it makes sense to get it sorted by the supplier. Hope you get it back soon but as you say the weather is so carp at the moment you will not be missing much.

I remember the first day I got the mount. I connected up the power supply and both axis moved without noise. I did not run it for any length of time. When I switched on today there was a very loud click from the dec gears then a series of constant clicking. Best not touch it and let them have a look at it. I have just switch it on again , power light steady , mount under no load - dec still clicks and does not move.

John

Yep, not worth messing about if its under guarantee.

My supply used to work with my (non-Goto) HEQ5 but not the EQ6 even with no load and a steady power light. The problem drove me nuts as I just couldn't believe it was the power, it turned out to be my power lead wasn't giving enough amps.

You could be right GAZ.

But I will let them check it over anyway.

John

PS As they are not collecting the mount till Friday - I will make up a short thicker lead tomorrow to see if this solves the problem.

New lead -problem still there.

It sounds more like two gear wheels failing to mesh properly rather than clicking.( a bit like holding a piece of cardboard against a spinning pedal bike wheel )

John

I will start packing it back into the box. I'm glad not to be paying the postage - it is heavy man!

They told me to hang on to the tripod/counter weights - no point sending them back.

John

They told me to hang on to the tripod/counter weights - no point sending them back.

Let's hope it isn't a faulty counter-weight then :D

Blimey , you coud be correct , never thought of that possibility :D

John

Try undoing the upsetting circle screw, that screwed my HEQ5 up so it might be a similar problem.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Done that , its completely loose ( the setting circle ) , and moves freely round.

Thanks for the suggestion. When its repaired I will be interested to see what the problem was. Both axis do seem a lot stiffer that my HEQ5 Pro.

John

Just had a phone call from the supplier. The DEC motor is faulty and cannot be repaired. They are sending me a new mount and will be with me on Wednesday. I would say that's pretty good service as the old mount was picked up from me on Friday last week. I must give a big thanks to Ted at Telescope House for sorting this so quickly. All I need now is a completed Obs and some clear skies :D

John

WOOHOO !! :hello1:

That's how I feel. I was worried that they would say "it works fine and the problems is my power supply or something". I'm glad I did not try and sort it myself,

John

Glad its getting sorted, now finish that obsy. by Wednesday! :D

Kaptain Klevtsov

Err - I am hoping the walls will go up and the roof will be on by the end of Friday - subject to no rain on Friday morning.

John

Good News then John. Even though you can instictively know when a fault is serious, you can always have the doubt in the back of your mind that you missed something daft and you will feel a little embarrassed. Well, you were right, and WHOOPIE. What a relief eh?

Ron. :thumbright:

Good News then John. Even though you can instictively know when a fault is serious, you can always have the doubt in the back of your mind that you missed something daft and you will feel a little embarrassed. Well, you were right, and WHOOPIE. What a relief eh?

Ron. :thumbright:

Yep , big relief , Ron.

EQ6's are usually pretty reliable. I think the people at Telescope House were a bit surprised that the mount managed to reach me with a non functioning DEC motor.

John

Thats great news John, Phew , u must be well pleased , now have to get that Obs done and everything fixed up , still u have time mate ,these light nights are handy for one thing ,and thats getting ready for winter imaging heheheheheh

Cheers

Rog

Archived