NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Motor Head

miguel87

I have recently upgraded my planetary eyepieces to give me more comfortable views and spent an hour last night observing jupiter.

I was mostly viewing with a 6mm eyepiece at 167x, fantastic views but the constant RA tracking really bothered me more than it ever has before.

Do i stop moaning and invest in a motor? Other discussions seem to agree it us highly optional but i just cant see how people manage to observe planets without one?

Finally i wonder abouy people with huge dobs viewing at 400x plus, how is this even possible?!

Thanks, Mike

Finally i wonder abouy people with huge dobs viewing at 400x plus, how is this even possible?!

Thanks, Mike

I use 100 / 110 degree eyepieces Mike. Concentration on tracking is still needed although I don't try and "keep up" with the object but rather use the "nudge, let drift, nudge, let drift" method. The hyper wide eyepieces increase the interval between the nudges.

By all means invest in a tracking motor though - do whatever makes the hobby enjoyable for you :icon_biggrin:

Thanks, very informative. I think i will invest. I find that in certaon positions i cant reach the slow motion controls without leaving the eyepiece. Constant interruptions are getting quite off putting.

Thanks, very informative. I think i will invest. I find that in certaon positions i cant reach the slow motion controls without leaving the eyepiece. Constant interruptions are getting quite off putting.

I never really got on with slo mo controls, they always seem to be difficult to find. That's why I use giro style mounts where you just grab the scope near the diagonal and move it! Suits my simple self

Archived