NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Three Layer Mask Orion Nebula M42

bdlbug

I decided that a project this winter would be improving my ability to image and process the Orion nebula, despite the awful conditions there has been the occasional clear night and I feel ready to share my recent image I took last Thursday 7th January.

Equipment

AstroTech 106EDT that I bought from BigSumorian last year and has been used/reviewed by one of our illustrious imagers on this forum Steppenwolf aka Steve Richards, http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/36889-astro-tech-at-106-edt-refractor/

Cannon 600D unmodded

AstroTech 72ED Guide scope using a Lodestar X2 driving PHD2

Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT.

Imaging and Processing

The January 7th image is a composite of three exposures all at ISO800 setting

30second subs,7 lights,10 darks | 60second subs, 5 lights,10 darks | 120second subs,17 lights, 10darks | Calibration subs, 20 bias, 20 flats

Unfortunately, as I am still learning how to set up for imaging, I was predominately a visual observer until very recently, I don’t think I really have a super accurate polar alignment or a good balance in my setup as I went for side by side for imaging scope and guiding scope and the unequal size/weight of each scope and camera is proving to be difficult to balance in all axis. All this results in a very crazy PHD2 guide graph and some bad periodic spikes that resulted in me dumping half of my 120s subs due to star trails.

I used DSS to stack and align all my data that gave me three TIFF files of my long, medium and short exposures, the next stage was using Photoshop to process the images and use the layer mask techniques to deliver a final image that shows some detail in the core.

My initial confusion came about as I use the latest monthly subscription version of Photoshop and many, if not all, of the tutorials and YouTube videos on processing M42 use much older versions of PS so the technique being explained is consistent but the actual layout of commands and windows is very different.

I initially used some advice given by Olly Penrice, in a post last September, and applied the technique to all of my three images to enhance the colour and not over stretch the image. The post can be found in this thread: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/253252-getting-colour-into-images/

Then used the advice in this next thread to drive my PS CC(2015) version to layer mask the three images http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/86119-m42-cs3-layer-mask-question/

Resulting in a final image below:

One of my main issues is that I did not get the framing right on my image and missed the running man, but I am generally pleased that I am increasing my knowledge and skills from some amazing imagers on this forum, so thank you.

B

P8OUNqH.jpg

There is some great advice on here, I knew nothing before I joined this site!

If you are losing subs because of poor tracking, my advice would be really nail the polar alignmen. I find drift aligning one of the best ways. It may take time if you're putting your tripod down each time, but you will find the tracking works so much better.

I also use a side by side system and find balancing tricky, but not impossible.

Try and make sure all sources of flexure are sorted out and you will notice massive improvements.

What did you use to capture the subs? The latest APT uses a plate solving tool from Planewave - I have found this works each and every time, with very little setup.

This will massively help with your framing, again saving valuable time under a clear sky.

Good work, keep it up!

Thanks everyone.

Jonk, I use BackyardEOS for my image sessions. I've not ventured into the realms of plate solving.

Appreciate the advice about drift alignment, it's really been a matter of doing what I can with the weather breaks we have had and yes as a consequence polar alignment has not been given a huge priority. I really should put in more effort on this. Similarly on getting an accurate balance.

Hopefully we will get some clear sky during this cold snap and I can do more on these setup basics.

thanks again for looking,

B

Archived