Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bob's luscious new kit

Problem: lack of time and dodgy West of Scotland weather means that I'm not getting regular use of my main kit (at least not until I persuade SWMBO that a permanent observatory is needed - working on it). So I needed something with good optics, a decent mount and, above all, quick and easy to set up when the clouds part.

Solution: WO Megrez 90 from FLO (thanks Steve) and Tele-Optic Giro III alt-az mount from Telescope-Service (thanks Patrick).

Perfect! It can sit permanently set up in my garage and be whipped out as the occasion arises. I opted for the single arm version of the GIRO III with counterbalance shaft and a 2Kg weight. Seems to do the job - no sign of instability and it's so SMOOTH!. With the 'scope balanced, and just a little tension on the axis locking knobs, it's easy to guide with just a finger. Currently it's fitted to the aluminium tripod off my EQ5 while I save up for a Berlebach. Actually, it's not as unstable as I thought it might be and is perfectly adequate for low power (upto x100) visual stuff. The M90 doesn't disappoint either, though with the sky not getting dark in these latitudes at this time of year, faint fuzzies will have to wait until the early autumn. However, the moon and Saturn look good! I'll post a more detailed review later. Meanwhile, some piccies.

6336_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

6337_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

6338_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

That really is a beautiful sight B_juice. It's no wonder people dive for their CC when confronted with these gorgeous looking Eye Candy scopes. Ease of use too, as you will waste no time when the little clear sky we get appears. You will be up and at it in no time flat

Ron. :shocked:

Archived