Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star 71 tilt

I've got a bit of tilt on my Star 71 - how does the tilt adjuster work? I see there are 3 sets of 3 screws at the end of the focuser. Do I loosen the outer ones to unlock, and then the inner ones to adjust tilt? Also, what are the 3 brass screws for near the rotating collar?

Have you ever collimated a refractor before? If you have, and you have the confidence to proceed, then fine. But I'd advise against it in case you invalidate your warrantee. Get in touch with the retailer for advice first before you mess up the collimation all together is my advice. :)

Have you ever collimated a refractor before? If you have, and you have the confidence to proceed, then fine. But I'd advise against it in case you invalidate your warrantee. Get in touch with the retailer for advice first before you mess up the collimation all together is my advice. :)

I think the OP is referring to the tilt adjustment mechanisms in the focuser rather than adjustment of the collimation of the objective lens cell.  They can bee seen in these images posted by PNJ: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/222334-willam-optics-star-71-5-element-apo-astrograph/?p=2452809

IRIC the middle hex bolt in each of the 3 groups is the lock bolt and the outer 2 are the adjusters, though in reality you tend to push/pull one against the other.  I think the outer brass screws affect the tightness of the rotation mechanism.  I had to tighten these up a tad on mine to get rid of a bit of play between the scope and my imaging payload.

Yeah I'm talking about the tilt adjuster mechanism at the end of the focuser, I wouldn't dare play with collimation :)

Thanks for the input. I've just tightened those brass screws, they were a tad loose, so hopefully that's what was giving me my tilt.

Archived