Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skysafari question

Bart

Hello all I have a quick question on sky Safari if you don't mind. Is it possible to orientate particular object to the correct orientation I can see in my field of view. You see, when I've centred the target object other objects appear to be at say 7 o'clock on sky safari yet it looks like it's at 9 o'clock in the eyepiece and I was wondering is it possible to orientate them correctly. Thanks

Barry

You just change the coordinate system. Tap in the upper left corner and switch to 'horizon'. And if the problem is through your EP than just flip the image by taping in the upper right corner and select 'both' in the flip option.

Thanks sisko

I have the coordinates to horizon and flipped both orientations. It's probably (but I'm not sure) something to do with the location of the focus set in the Dob. I keep meaning to look at an object with both of my Dobs whose focusers are located differently to see if the view differs. Thanks

Barry

Thanks sisko

I have the coordinates to horizon and flipped both orientations. It's probably (but I'm not sure) something to do with the location of the focus set in the Dob. I keep meaning to look at an object with both of my Dobs whose focusers are located differently to see if the view differs. Thanks

Barry

Barry, I'm sure that will be your issue. The orientation through the eyepiece depends upon the position of the focuser ie how you have the dob rotated its rings (if it moves that is).

There is no way that I know of changing this in SkySafari, other than the somewhat clumsy way of rotating your phone or tablet to match your view [emoji6]

Thanks Stu, I was afraid you were going to say that. Thanks anyway. What I'd like to know maybe is if it'll be the same 'offset' always, I.e at all altitudes and times. I'm sure someone reading this is tut tutting at my lack of optical dexterity. [emoji4]

Barry

Under settings, telescope, display, field of view display options you can change the field rotation angle.

I think that's just for imaging, it rotates the sensor outline to allow better framing I think

Yes thanks, but I have tried that it doesn't change anything on the screen. I tried it a couple of times without success and then googled it and decided it wasn't the solution. Thanks in any case.

Thanks sisko

Barry

The orientation will be accurate if you don't tilt your head. Don't orient your self to the scope, but to the horizon :)

Archived