Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dovetail Bar

I am looking to get a dovetail bar for my skywatcher 102 startravel refractor. I have the rings already and it has to mount on an az synscan.

I have seen lots of bars on the net but...... wait for it..... stupidity inbound.... I checked the rings and it appears the max they split is 6". Most of the bars are longer than this and the shorter skywatcher one looks wrong.

Has anyone bought a bar for this scope? I would prefer not to drill or saw because I'm lazy!

Abuse expected, advice appreciated.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

It's the drilling that worries me. I imagine that the screws attaching the bar to the scope will have to be countersunk and that might be a problem since I only have my rubbish drill and my hand as a vice.

if diy is out then expect to pay quite a bit more for things.

sw standard are around £15.

amd universal are around £50

So.... how lazy are you? :D

Poor so lazy appears to be out the window[emoji15]

It's the drilling ... the screws attaching the bar to the scope will have to be countersunk ... I only have my rubbish drill and my hand as a vice.

Occasionally when things get beyond my meagre engineering skills I have resorted to getting professional help with drilling, pressing and the like.

Try asking a local independent garage if they would drill the holes, if you're lucky they may even do it for free. If the first one you approach can't or won't, ask what machine shop they use and try there. Several around where I live will do it while you wait and some are slightly embarassed when offered money...

Archived