NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nebula and Multiple Star Lists

Hi all. Put these lists togther as there is no viewing just now but thought I might stick them up for others to use if they wished to. One of the problems many newcomers face is what do I look at with my new scope. The obvious ones are usually the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn along with a few other well known dso's, but many want more, I was one such person.

Seeing as viewing times have been restricted (severely) recently I decided to put together some lists of some specific objects that I personally want to get acquainted with more often or indeed, for the first time.

One of my favourite nightime objects to view are nebula, there is something about these phenomena that I just really do like looking at. The fact something that was once not much bigger than our own sun and is now spread accross several light years but yet still shines back at us is amazing. (eg M1 Crab Nebula).

On the list are some I have seen regular (M43 Orion, M57 Ring for example) and many more I have not yet had chance to view. The degree of difficulty in viewing these ranges from easy in the case of the aforementioned Orion Nebula to very difficult for someting like the Horsehead. Some of these also really do benefit from using a filter of some description and in some cases are almost impossible to see without.

To help anyone interested in giving some of these a go the following link will come in very handy. http://www.scopecity.com/how-to/select-telescope-filters.cfm?pn=How+to+select+telescope+filters   Again this is only an aid and trial and error is one of the best ways of finding what works for you.

One of the problems with Nebula viewing is you usually need darker skies to really appreciate thier beauty and get the best out of them, not always for all of them but as a rule its the best bet. So when the Moon puts in an appearance some people give it a miss as there is not that much to look at, or is there.

I recently started viewing mutiple coloured stars and I am finding it so much fun looking at all the different coloured stars and teasing out doubles or multiples etc. You look into the sky and save a few brighter stars such as betelguese etc, they all seem fairly white in colour. Its only when you get the magnification cranked up that you start to enjoy the true beauty of these celestial bodies. One such first class example of this is Albireo with a fantastic Blue/Orange contrasting pair of stars.

The attached xcel spread sheets are not complete by any stretch of the imagination but having trolled through other various online resources, they are ones I just preferred to list for my own use.

Coloured Stars.xls

my nebula.xls

Feel free to download and amend as I am sure I will be updating my own copies as I go along. I have optimised the coloured star spreadsheet for use with stellarium or Turn Left at Orion. The common or other name will usually bring up the stars listed on Stepparium although for some you will have to refer to TLAO also. I have checked all the coords and additional info and it corresponds. One last thing, West is West and \East is East. Never got my head around reversing it for star maps  :rolleyes:  :grin:

Have fun.

Steve

I hadn't run across that listing yet, Steve. Thank you! As I have attested - I'm a confirmed filter-nut. So.....

Try these articles by David Knisely from the Prairie Astronomy Club:

http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/resources/by-dave-knisely/filter-performance-comparisons-for-some-common-nebulae/

&

http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/resources/by-dave-knisely/useful-filters-for-viewing-deep-sky-objects/

And this one landed from Agena in California. Quite good really:

http://agenaastro.com/choosing-a-color-planetary-filter.html

I hope you enjoy them. I hung them on my wall.

Said the Filter-Nut -

Dave

Archived