Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First go with new scope

cwit1

Well we finally had a few hours of clear sky down here on New Years eve so I forgo the usual indulgence to try and get some practice in with my new gear.

By the time I set up and got everything working hours had slipped by. Took me ages to even get a star on PHD (focus) never mind getting to grips with this drift aligning.

Had a go with Astrotortilla and got some sucess (amazing software)  learned quite a bit about Backyard eos and that dew really is a problem.

Suffice to say by the time I was ready to start some captures the clouds appeared so I only had time for 5 150sec exposures of M42. I took the same darks as well but messed up with only one bias (1/8000s and I only got one :BangHead:  though I suppose I could add more at some time but prob not worth it with only 5 subs).

Not very good at the processing bit yet and eggy stars I am assuming because ive not got the reducer/flattener yet.

Anyhow here's a crop of my first night at this very involving/frustrating/expensive  :rolleyes:  hobby

Chris

Really nice that, often the first attempt yields nothing at all.

I'm sure you could tease a bit more out with processing.

Bias frames can be taken anytime, they are not temperature sensitive so you can take them a week later if you want :)

/Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice shot....I too took ages getting PHD to find a guide star the first time around (I use PHD2) - I also have an ST80 and simply marked the tube when i finally got it into focus. Still need to adjust from time to time, but at least I know whether I am in the right ball park when starting up a new session. 

Archived