Tak FSQ-85ED Qsi mono ccd Setup help total newb

Hello All,

Name is Sam. Nice to meet all of you! First time poster long time reader. I will be frank, I am an absolute beginner and will be buying my equipment in patches because of cost and  i want to buy the right things. I have been learning and reading about astronomy for about 2 years as a hobby. I think it is time.  Im so scared!  But I  need help figuring out adapters and metal back distance to get started

I wanted a smaller setup so I can travel to my folks home as well as dark sites away from my white zone florida apt. I am getting most of the tak stuff from peter from Hong Kong since I can get the scope as well as a bunch of accessories less than the scope costs here in  the USA. I understand the warranty risk.

Equipment (Please make suggestions!)

Scope - Takahashi Fsq-85ed (with tube riing and offset plate) 

Reducer .73

Mount - Orion Sirius mount

Imaging -  Qsi660 wig mono with oag and 8 pos filter wheel  (Will the tak be able to cover this chip?)

astrodon/baader 3NM 1.25 filters (LRGB and 3 Narrow Band)  (is the size good for my scope?)

So basically I need to know the adapters necessary to connect the scope to the qsi . Yes I am in over my head, but In my defense I do know some sparse info:

So if I am not mistaken, ive read somewhere here that the back focus for this scope is not important  but the metal back distance is what is important. Which is 72.2mm with the reducer according to the tak spec page. So this means I have to fill 70mm-74mm worth of equipment and spacers to get proper focus correct? 

Can someone chime in on the proper adapters I need? I know I may need to get a custom part done by precise parts, but I am confused on the qsi adapters (T-Mount with 2" nose that adds 12.5mm of back focus  or 2.156"  and 2"nose piece that adds 13.4mm of back focus ). Which is better for this setup?  I have the optical path sheet from qsi that shows the mm width but don't know what the adapter differences are and how they hook up. Does anyone have the total back focus of this camera? Do I need any CA-35 or other tak adapters to go with this? I saw the system chart and it seems the key is ca adapters and a customer adapter to the ccd. 

Once again I really apologize If my wording comes off as a total poser/ newb.I hope to one day be worthy of being on these forums with the greats like olly and everyone else!

Thanks

I would personally think long and hard about your camera. The Tak will more than cover the sensor. I used the 660 and 690 chips for a couple of years, in the end I found them just too small and many targets involved mosaics. To that end I swapped my chip over for a Kodak 8300 (683) and I've never been happier.

Regarding adapters - Ian King Imaging here in the UK sells an adapter that will screw directly from the reducer to the QSi giving you the correct spacing - Easy as anything!

I would personally think long and hard about your camera. The Tak will more than cover the sensor. I used the 660 and 690 chips for a couple of years, in the end I found them just too small and many targets involved mosaics. To that end I swapped my chip over for a Kodak 8300 (683) and I've never been happier.

Regarding adapters - Ian King Imaging here in the UK sells an adapter that will screw directly from the reducer to the QSi giving you the correct spacing - Easy as anything!

Sara is right: a bigger sensor will save you a lot of time in the long run, especially if you are running a mobile rig. I have a camera with the 8300 chip at a FL of 675 mm and it's just aout perfect for a lot of targets.

However, an 8300 chipped camera will require filters at least 36 mm in diameter (this size is actually purpose made for this sensor), so bear that in mind.

Also, I expect that Olly will be along at some point to extol the virtues of the enormous 11000 chip which he uses extensively for his beautiful widefield images.

Also, you did not mention anything about guiding in you post. Guiding is essential on the Sirius mount for decent astrophotography.

However, an 8300 chipped camera will require filters at least 36 mm in diameter (this size is actually purpose made for this sensor), so bear that in mind.

You absolutely CAN use 1.25" filters on the QSI683 for example and also the Moravian, as their integrated filter wheel is close enough to the sensor. Sure there's a little vignetting, but flats will sort that out.

Regarding the 11000 chip - I know for a fact (as does Olly...... as he sold his FSQ85 because of it) that the FSQ85 will NOT cover this large chip.... I'm glad that it didn't  :D

Sara is right: a bigger sensor will save you a lot of time in the long run, especially if you are running a mobile rig. I have a camera with the 8300 chip at a FL of 675 mm and it's just aout perfect for a lot of targets.

Also, I expect that Olly will be along at some point to extol the virtues of the enormous 11000 chip which he uses extensively for his beautiful widefield images.

Also, you did not mention anything about guiding in you post. Guiding is essential on the Sirius mount for decent astrophotography.

Yes he/she did. oag :D

To be honest, I really dont think an OAG is suitable for a beginner - especially when you take into account all the other stuff that needs to be learnt first. It's like only just passing your driving test - then jumping into an F1 car.... youre gonna go off at the first corner (or maybe not even get it off the starting grid!). Better to try a simple guidescope/cam combination first.

Archived