NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Got a great Christmas present but need to know more about it!

DaveyLeo10

CLR, CLR or broadband filters are great for increasing contrast and cutting out some of the light pollution... I use a neodymium filter from Baader (similar to your one) to increase my sub length and try capture the fainter detail with before the LP blows out the background.

I have the same filter and it's main purpose is to block out light pollution from the orange Street lamps meaning that you'll be able to take longer photos before they become washed out.

This filter can be used for nebula and galaxies. It won't increase or decrease any futures but will allow you to take longer subs which in turn will increase all features of whatever your imaging

Great picture! Im assuming the blue colour is fairly easy to remove during processing? I've never used a filter before so what are they good and bad for? I'm love shooting nebula but would they work well on galaxies to?

Yes.

If you use DSS, just get it to align the channels.

Just stick the filter in and use it all the time if you have LP.

Short exposures most likely will not show the gain you get with the filter.

Check where the back of the camera histogram peak is for each exposure.

You should find the one with the filter is nearer the left side.

The way to gauge the correct exposure for your sky brightness is by checking the camera histogram.

The best exposure will be between 20>40% of the histogram.

Like this where the white histogram is around 25%

info.jpg

My scope is the Nexstar Evolution 9.25' I rarely go higher than 30 seconds exposure because I don't know what my limit is before star trails appear, it's a great guided scope but I need a wedge! Really want to bring out the filters full potential.

Archived