Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky Map

BeerMe

How useful is this app?  Is it fairly accurate as a direction-finder for planets?  Are there any mobile apps out there better than it or can supplement it?

It seems pretty good but i've not had a clear night to test it on :/

I have 3 that I use, Skyview, Goskywatch and Stellarium

I've never used Sky Map but you could compare it with one of the 3 mentioned above, they use your precise location so they're fairly accurate, out of Skyview and Goskywatch I'd say Sky view is the most accurate, whereas Stellarium gives you more information about each object and tells you there possition

Stellarium is available on Android free of charge. Presumably on I phone/Apple as well but you would need to check.

I have Stellarium on my little 7 inch Android Tablet and it's great to have with you for reference. (It has a night mode as well)

I have 3 that I use, Skyview, Goskywatch and Stellarium

I've never used Sky Map but you could compare it with one of the 3 mentioned above, they use your precise location so they're fairly accurate, out of Skyview and Goskywatch I'd say Sky view is the most accurate, whereas Stellarium gives you more information about each object and tells you there possition

Thanks Jay, i'll have a look for Skyview and Goskywatch now :)

I use it on my windows phone, as stellarium isn't available on that platform; sky map seems to be the best available on windows mobile - it's reasonably accurate most of the time.

I'm surprised Stellarium can't be used on a Windows phone, I thought any programs that could run on a windows based pc could run on a windows based phone!  

My phone is Android, I should have mentioned that lol.

Stellarium is available on Android free of charge. Presumably on I phone/Apple as well but you would need to check.

I have Stellarium on my little 7 inch Android Tablet and it's great to have with you for reference. (It has a night mode as well)

Hi Craig, I didn't even know it was available on Android!  On my Play Store though it costs £1.56...

Well worth it if its half as good as the free windows app....do you think its worthwhile?

Hi Craig, I didn't even know it was available on Android!  On my Play Store though it costs £1.56...

Well worth it if its half as good as the free windows app....do you think its worthwhile?

I'm sure I got it free?

Maybe because my tablet is a Google Nexus. Who knows with Google, they seem to do as they please..

It's definitely worthwhile. Do you have a desktop or laptop you can check it out on first?

Hi Craig, I didn't even know it was available on Android! On my Play Store though it costs £1.56...

I put Stellarium on my iPhone, iPad and PCs, if I remember correctly, all free. In my view, it's exceptionally good and even if it were £1.56, is fantastic value for money and would willing pay that for what it gives.

Happy viewing

I'm sure I got it free?

Maybe because my tablet is a Google Nexus. Who knows with Google, they seem to do as they please..

It's definitely worthwhile. Do you have a desktop or laptop you can check it out on first?

Yeah I have it on my desktop already, I love it! :)  I would much rather have that than Sky Map if I was out and about doing some stargazing.

I put Stellarium on my iPhone, iPad and PCs, if I remember correctly, all free. In my view, it's exceptionally good and even if it were £1.56, is fantastic value for money and would willing pay that for what it gives.

Happy viewing

Thanks to both of you for the review/advice, I'll definitely buy it

If you'd like to give Stellarium a try, here it lives - with instructions:

http://www.stellarium.org/

As for instructions, the most current one's are posted in Wiki due to their being new features & functions being created almost daily. There is also a Pdf. that's almost up-to-date. Here's the Wiki-Link:

http://www.stellarium.org/wiki/index.php/Stellarium_User_Guide

And the Pdf. is here:

http://barry.sarcasmogerdes.com/stellarium/stellarium_user_guide-new.pdf

This should help you to find just about everything under the Sun.

Glad you have it on desktop - you can ask Alex Wolf about the other.

Have fun -

Dave

Thanks Jay, i'll have a look for Skyview and Goskywatch now :)

I'm surprised Stellarium can't be used on a Windows phone, I thought any programs that could run on a windows based pc could run on a windows based phone!  

My phone is Android, I should have mentioned that lol.

Maybe with the coming of windows 10 you can side load it, but it isn't available from the store; I know windows 10 phones are suppose to be a  mobile pc, but not sure you can install desktop applications. I've got it on my laptop, to be honest I don't use my phone when it's dark and i'm dark adapted, just the laptop when the moon is out.

Archived