The trapezium with a fairly big Dob

alan potts

I managed to see E & F in the 16" Dob this evening with the Type 1 Paracorr and Ethos 6mm & 8mm :grin:

The atmosphere is quite damp here and at that magnification everything started to get a little mushy but they were definitely there. I intentionally didn't remind myself of their exact position until after I had searched for and found them. A check back to the charts confirmed I had found them.

Orion is still climbing so I'll have another go in a couple of hours from now.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a go at this last night. Fairly good conditions for where I am, so I tried a few targets including this. E was just about visible but there was only a hint of F. Having the nebula surrounding it certainly doesn't help!

I need to get to some dark skies...

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this last night with the 16" Dob, no Parracor and the Ethos 4.7mm, so x383 mag, and even though the view was very mushy E & F were clearly visible.

Ditto with my 12" dob and the same eyepiece. E & F were very clear although not quite "refractor" defined !

Seeing conditions I think are a major factor. With my 8se in Tenerife E and F are too easy to be considered a test. In the UK I often struggle to see them with a 16".

Not sure Mrs T could make it to the top of Mt Teide with a 16" Dob in her rucksack so I'll have to take your word for that one Peter :wink:

Archived