NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The latest solar images have inspired me, but what do I do.

beamer3.6m

The recen images of the sun have been truly amazing and would really like to try it myself.

However I have no idea what to do other than not look at it without filters.

I have an Explorer 200, 130 and Bresser Skylux 70/700. I assume the Bresser would be best.

What filter do you use, how do you track the sun, can you use a webcam etc etc etc etc.

To see the prominences and detail on the disc, you will need something like a PST. The filtering in the solar scopes is very narrow band indeed, down to less than one nanometer of bandpass or something.

You can use solar film from most astro suppliers for seeing sunspots, but granulation and other details needs the expensive stuff.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Baader astro solar film is good if you want to do white light solar imaging. It is about 15 quid for an A4 sheet which you then make your own filter (for the front of your objective) from. If it is prominences and such you want white light is no good and you need a hydrogen alpha system. The cheapest is the Coronado PST at about 400 quid. They are ace :shocked: . Other systems are available but the price rises dramatically which is why so many on this forum have the PST

Luke

Gaz, do I assume that you just use this filter in front of the webcam and thit is it.

Is this better than solar film.

Also, if I make a solar filter how do I connect to the scope. I can cut a 70mm ring but what do people use to make this fit onto the end of the scope.

If so, does anyone know if I could image the whole sun with a Toucam on a 70mm scope (700Focal Length)

Another question

How do you track the sun. Will using the R.A. motor be sufficient - I am not familiar with the speed of the sun etc.

Also, which of my scopes would be most suitable. I was thinking the explorer 130 as it has a metal focuser etc so melting may not be a problem and it has an end cap with a smaller whole in it for such viewing which could be covered with solar filter quite easily I think.

The solar continuum filter is designed to increase the quality of the view its not a solar filter. Think of it as a 'light pollution' for the sun filter. It does not reject heat or Ir so you must use the solar film over the objective. As the solar filter covers the objective you will not need to worry about melting your focuser or eyepieces. That is a concern for projection only. Any of your scopes will be fine.

Luke

The Baader Astrofilm comes with instructions on how to construct a simple solar filter. A common method is to 'sandwich the film between to cardboard tubes formed around the scope like a dewshield, as long as you secure the two tubes so they cannot slip apart, this works just fine. Also, don't be tempted to straighten out any wrinkles in the film when creating the filter, as the film is designed to work better 'with wrinkles'.

I used this method for my scope and my 50mm finder at it works a treat. I always feel slightly uneasy about visual observing through a film filter, just make sure you always check the filter for any punctures or tears before any visual use.

Also, most of my early solar shots when done using an undriven alt-azimuth mount, it gives you a limited time for capturing on the webcam before the image moves out of the field of view but you can use the 'chase the object' approach to stacking in Registax, it can be done very successfully but can take a bit of practice.

Go for it :shocked:

Tony

With the ED80 at prime focus, it takes four seperate frames to capture the whole image. I need to use a focul reducer if I want to do a one frame capture but frankly, the little Atik focal reducer I have loses too much detail, I'd rather do a mosaic.

Tony

Archived