Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Preparing for first BYE / PHD2 imaging session

rubecula

If these clouds ever go away I'm going to have a go at my first imaging run using BYE and PHD2.  I have used BYE on its own though.  At the highest level is it simply a matter of getting PHD2 tracking a star and then setting BYE off to complete the imaging run?  From all I've read I know that it is a bit more complicated than that but as long as I don't try to do dithering do the two programs work independently of each other?

Any advice for a rank beginner?

BYE can be used with PHD and you can use dithering (I do). Get BYE set up first and ready to roll and click on dithering. Then set up PHD and get it guiding. Then start taking images using BYE but keep a watch on PHD to make sure that the graph is good and tight.

Peter

At the highest level is it simply a matter of getting PHD2 tracking a star and then setting BYE off to complete the imaging run?

Yes. it is an imaging software and does not do dithering or guiding on its own. BYE can talk to PHD and many 3rd party softwares (Astrotortilla for exemple) but you don't have to interface with any of those to image.

as long as I don't try to do dithering do the two programs work independently of each other?

Any advice for a rank beginner?

If you want to start dithering then there is a short thread by the author of the software on the BYE forum regarding this.

There is also one on plate solving which I found to be really helpful ....

There is also a nice tool for those of us using TemperHum (a bug with bad reading of temp. was finally fixed in the last version)  and a tool to drift align :)

I am still not decided on which of APT and BYE is the best for my needs ... Both are nice pieces of software.

Archived