Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Temporary Setup

Hi all

Need a bit of advice on a quandry.

I may be going away to Charleston, SC for a course next year for 10 weeks.  Am going to be taking my camera and standard tripod with me, but am also wanting to take any advantage of any clear skies while over there and get some AP in.

Am planning on getting a Skywatcher Star Adventurer to use, but have a couple of questions.

1 - What would people recommend for a good scope to put on this?  Have a feeling I wil be keeping it after use (shipping back to UK).  Ideally would like to have a 2" tube on teh focuser then I can still use my coma corrector, filter and adaptor combo that I have already.

2 - What are the best US outlets to buy from?  PLan was to buy the scope over there and get teh mount from FLO here, but may also now look at getting everything while over there

Cheers

Just to mention...am thinking of the Skywatcher Startravel 120T of the OTA.

Is this a good option or am I looking at an OTA that is outside the capacity of the mount here?

Also might consider the Vixen Polarie and a short tube scope......can grab some widefiled and then some imaging through scope too....

Oh the decisions...

The 120 OTA is not a good option for AP, I feel. CA is rather strong. A Newtonian coma corrector would be better on a 130PDS, I would think, but that might be a bit heavy.  I would opt for something like an 80mm ED or even smaller for travel (I have an 80mm F/6 triplet for that purpose)

The 120 OTA is not a good option for AP, I feel. CA is rather strong. A Newtonian coma corrector would be better on a 130PDS, I would think, but that might be a bit heavy.  I would opt for something like an 80mm ED or even smaller for travel (I have an 80mm F/6 triplet for that purpose)

Something smaller, I think! The SA only has a payload capacity of 5kg but I think that excludes the astronomy bundle which includes a mounting bracket and 1kg counterweight - and together they are quite heavy. I gave up trying to image on mine with an ST80, dslr and guidescope - just too much for it! A camera and lens would probably be the better option.

Louise

Edit: the SA also doesn't have an easy means of finding and securing on a target with longer focal lengths. So widefield only, really.

Optcorp apparently are quite good for gear. Their shop is on the west coast half way between LA and San Diego but they do phone and internet orders and I'm sure you could get something shipped to your US location within a week. I've read one or two very good telescope reviews of theirs when buying scopes - they're very well known as a reliable astro supplier. Failing that put a question up on Cloudy Nights forum for a more local supplier to your destination. Hth :)

Archived