NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help with PHD please

gh10

I am new to SGL and hoping someone can help with a problem I'm having with PHD.

I am using a laptop with Windows 7, a QHY5 guide camera and the ST4 lead to a SW EQ6Pro mount.

I can connect the camera and the the mount using 'On camera' option but when I click to start looping to select a star I get the Windows error message 'PHD has stopped working' and PHD crashes.

Any ideas?

Thanks for that, I've tried both phd and phd2 but not the snapshot version, will give this a try.

Do I need Ascom installed? I have had it installed but am wondering if I don't need it with the ST4 route then I might just remove it and see if that helps.

Hi

You want Ascom if you want to add Eqmod at some point and it won't interfere anyway. The chances are your problems are caused by usb - either cable or port. The qhy guide cams run at a high data rate so you need a high speed usb 2.0 cable plugged into a high speed usb 2.0 port. Ideally without a hub in between and with the cable not too long - preferably less than 5m and away from any power cables or other sorts of electrical/rf noise. With the qhy if something goes wrong you generally have to unplug it and reconnect in order to reload the 'firmware'. However, if you keep losing the connection that indicates a likely usb problem as mentioned. I've never got my qhy5l-ii cams to run reliably connected to usb 3.0 ports - must be a timing thing...

Hth

Louise

Set the frame rate to 2s before connecting the camera, that will help ease the load on the USB port.

Also try not connecting the mount, just start looping the camera after it is connected. Once you have a picture try the mount.

/Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Louise, I am using the original USB lead that came with the QHY5 but I've had it connected to a 5m extension! I'll see if I can reroute/position things and try it without the extension.

Thanks as well Dan, I will be a busy beaver trying all these suggestions but this is exactly what I need is lots of things to try beyond scratching my head and staring at the laptop!

All good suggestions above, the first thing is to load ver:2.50 you can run the Dev versions as well, I personally run Dev 9.

http://openphdguiding.org/development-snapshots/

The Dev ver:5 is the minimum you should run if you plan on using SGpro.

Other than that, the USB is most likely the reason for crashing, I run a USB hub and a 20 MTR cable with a repeater, if I see a crash its usually the connection into the hub; the contacts do squash and wear out eventually!

Mine are due for replacement but I just use an elastic band at the moment to hold the connection firm, it works but I do know its a temporary fix.

Ray

Archived