Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

72mm ED refractor

cwit1

Hi All,  I am just starting out into the world of astrophotography and looking to get my first telescope.

I have been looking at getting an Altair Astro Lightwave 72 Ed and wondered if anyone has any experience of this scope with regard to optical quality field of view etc.

Primarily I would like to start with the brighter galaxy's, nebula etc.

I'll be using it with a canon 5d mk2 (unmodded) on a NEQ6 mount and unguided for now.

Chris.

Hi Chris

I had its predecessor, the ED70 and found it to be a good little scope. I managed to get some half decent pictures with it on an old EQ3-2 and suspect it would have started coming into its own when I got an NEQ6...but then I also upgraded to an ED80 for that little extra.

But the ED70 seemed really well built, and gave some nice crisp views visually. I think it would make a nice starter scope. But, if you are the sort of person who gets an itch to upgrade, it might be worth a look at the Skywatcher ED80. Its a fair leap costwise from the Altair if you factor in the reducer, but it is a nice scope and easy to get to grips with.

Hi Marky 1973

Yes I originally considered the Skywatcher Ed 80, and seen some outstanding images taken with it, but have also read about some issues with focuser slipping under load. 

Not sure what to make of this actually, as indeed its a scope I would seriously consider. In your opinion is this an issue? as the extra £140 or so wouldn't put me off getting one if it's considered to be a better investment in the long term.

Great images on your site by the way.

Chris.

Hi Marky 1973

Yes I originally considered the Skywatcher Ed 80, and seen some outstanding images taken with it, but have also read about some issues with focuser slipping under load. 

Not sure what to make of this actually, as indeed its a scope I would seriously consider. In your opinion is this an issue? as the extra £140 or so wouldn't put me off getting one if it's considered to be a better investment in the long term.

Chris.

The extra £140 would be better spent towards a finder guider. The NEQ6 is very good, but not so good that you can do multi-minute exposures without guiding and expect to keep all the subs.

Hi Marky 1973

Chris.

Thanks Chris!

I read that too but have not had a problem, but then I only have a DSLR attached. It might be more worrying with a big CCD and filter wheel etc, but the focuser can be tightened. Mine takes a fair bit of force to move it. The addition of and autofocuser helps as well.

I have the ED70. Solidly built and mine has a retractable dew shield. Great optics. I use mine with a Canon 650D (mod'd)

Very good optics, the 10:1 focuser well and the focus end can be rotated to accomodate camera orientation. My only small niggle is that sometimes when you tighten the focus lock screw there is a small shift in focus.

Yeah I did find that with the 70, the focus lock would push the focus out slightly so it was a bit tricky to get it exact, However, the same happens with the ED80. However, the addition of the autofocuser (which I used on both scopes) helps with the focus lock and I don't have the same trouble anymore. In fact, I think I removed the focus lock on the ED80 in order to fix the focuser!

And yes, guiding comes next... along with the empty wallet!

As Paul says, the NEQ6 is good but, ultimately you will want to guide. Having said that, before guiding, I could get 3 minute subs with very few needing to be discarded because of trailing. obviously that will depend on how accurate your set-up is and where you are pointing in the sky (relative movement of the stars) but you can get started without guiding. I did get up to 5 minutes unguided with the ED70 and the NEQ6, but was discarding a lot of subs. Fun to experiment with, but probably a waste of imaging time if you are losing more subs that you keep.

I don't think you'll regret it - did you get the reducer as well? It'll work without, but worth purchasing if you don't have it.

Altair do a nice finder/guider set up, or, if you have the finder with the ED80 you'll find loads of info on this very site about how to convert that to use with a guide cam...

One solution sorted, then another can of worms opens up!

You'll be wanting a modded camera next....

(you can probably sell your wallet now, you won't be needing it any more.....)

:-)

Have fun with the ED80!

Marky1973

No didn't get the reducer yet. Just got the OTA and set about getting a guiding setup as suggested by Paul.

My thinking is to get guiding under my belt then after a bit of experience get the reducer.

To that end I've ordered a ST 80 for the guide scope and a QHY5-11

Wallet is on eBay :-(

Chris

Archived