NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lens hood/dew shield for 20x80's

RT65CB-SWL

Hi all,

Does anyone have suggestions for lens hood/dew shield for 20x80 binoculars.

The external diameter per objective cell is 100mm. There is no internal thread, as I did think of using 2x collapsible lens hoods that are used for camera lenses. I cannot find anything larger than 82mm and I doubt they would s-t-r-e-t-c-h to 100mm.

DIY with a camping/exercise mat and Velcro is/was an option, but I do not have access to a sewing machine!

So... [or should that be "Sew..."] ...any other ideas welcome/what do you use?

I've cut some camping mat out. I haven't stitched them into fixed roll, rather I hold them in place with a pair of plastic ties (the kind you use to tie electric cables together but big ones) which means I can take it all apart and flat-pack it down for storage in a small space.

They do need flocking on the inside surfaces which I must do at some point - it's not a problem for looking at dark things but when looking at bright things you can see reflections from the target bouncing off the inner surfaces of the shields and scattering around the view.

Being an amateur Gardener,I had the idea of using two black plastic flower pots of appropriate size,with the bottoms cut out to fit.

If necessary,the inner surfaces could be flocked,to reduce any reflection.

I'm a great one for theory,but haven't put my idea into practice yet........

Archived