Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Goto, Push-to and Nudge-to

I think I know what a Goto mount is (haven't got one, but it may be in my future) and thought that push-to and nudge-to were merely alternative descriptions of what one does with a non-goto (be it Dob or equatorial) to get it pointing at the target.

However, reading threads here (sorry, can't now find the main one) it appears that this isn't the case. Several searches both on SGL and the interweb generally have not revealed the true definitions, so could someone explain what the terms actually mean and what the difference(s) is/are?

3 Types, GoTo you tell the mount via a Handset or click on a star, the mount thens slews to that star.

Push to you have the mount linked to a PC/Tablet and as you move the scope it tracks the movement on the PC/Tablet screen it does not have motors to move itself but encoders to track where the scope is pointing.

Nudge to you move the mount manually its has a no motors or encoders.

All I'd add is that with Push To you can also get encoder systems that have displays mounted on the tube for alt and az coordinates. You get the coordinates of your object from a mobile phone or computer app, and then push the scope till the display shows the object coords. :)

you can also get encoder systems that have displays mounted on the tube for alt and az coordinates. You get the coordinates ... and then push the scope till the display shows the object coords. :)

That sounds really cool!

Thanks both for explaining that, so my motorised but otherwise unmodded EQ5 is none of the above.

Your EQ5 is a mount with motorised axes. I don't think there's a specific word for it - "driven mount" or "tracking mount" I guess.... But yes it's none of the above. Although you do have to point it by nudging to the object. :)

Nudging is usually a term applied to dobs where you have to track by nudging every few mins to keep up with the object.

Push to can also be a manually made go to system, you fix setting circles to the dob base add a Wixey to the tube then push to either using absolute (level and polar align the base first) or relative coordinates for alt/az. Use a mobile etc. To get the live intended object coordinates.

Once found nudge the dob base to keep the object in the fov.

Archived